x19 The other side

Dear readers,
Before starting to read this chapter, I suggest playing the video above.
It is a song I always connected Ellie and Eric to at this phase.
Thank you. ♥

When they entered Candor grounds, it felt as the air changed

The energy fluctuated.
It could be felt on the surface; it was heavier, more violate.

Ellie shivered a little bit, trying to shake off the nasty feeling from the inside crawling slowly on skin.
But it wasn't because she was scared anymore. It was maybe pre-attack anxiety.

Eric was okay.
She was okay.
Everything will be okay.
She reiterated to herself in silence.

But, she was still a bit troubled, for no explanation in particular, but it was as the city was telling her about something.

She closed her eyes for one second, determined to dismiss all of this.
No one was in the mood for this action, except for Max and Jeanine, that much she knew.

Eric was first to step his foot on the ground, and Ellie, without dismay followed him.

Navi was already beeping; it already indicated the way and she slid in next to Eric, who waited for his team to gather.

He was wordless; like the first time, they ever went on a "mission" together.
It was that famous Capture The Flag when they communicated closely for the first time at all.
If only this was as harmless as that game.

They stood there sharing silence, patiently waiting for everybody to gather and his team was faster to follow.

"Let's go, move it!", he called them abruptly, loading the sniper.
Eric was losing his patience and his temper more quickly than usual. They all knew better than to let him wait.
He never allowed his teams to do so. Ellie knew that.

She was the first to follow.

When she didn't, she was scolded just like the rest of them. The only difference was, that he never pointed a gun at her if she disobeyed.
And she did it fiercely a couple of rough times. It taught her just how far she can go with it.
Sometimes, it wasn't far enough.

While his team was leaving led by him, meanwhile Ellie waited for her unit to team up, already checking up the sky for Max's flying squad.

She inspected the Navi patiently. The way was beautifully illustrated on the screen and, determining that she won't be dealing with them for long, she turned on the location sharing and their pagers beeped at once.

The way pointed for Candor's dorms.

If they hid the rebels, they hid them with style. It was their way, after all.

"Okay, listen up.", she began the allegation, catching herself sounding a lot like Eric. "Weapons loaded, heads up, silent walk. Whoever comes our way, we shoot with a snipper, not a gun. Understood?", she was quick and short.