x5. Personal Investigations

"I'm surprised Eric and Max let us have a good time

"I'm surprised Eric and Max let us have a good time.", Christina said, sitting at a table.

"We're almost Dauntless, I think it comes with some privilege.", Will assumed.

"I'm kind of sorry for the people that left tonight. I saw Jenna, the girl was crying her guts off.", Ellie told.

"You really shouldn't be.", Christina
said, sounding earmarked.

"Why?"

She precisely didn't have much communication with Jenna, but she felt sorry for anyone being in that situation tonight.
Tris could have been at her place, but luckily was not, because she toppled Jenna under the line tonight.

"Wait, you don't know?", Christina asked her startled.

"Do I look like I know? Or like I care, for that matter?"

"Well, you should be caring about who you feel sorry about, Ellie.", Christina said promptly. "Jenna was one of the first people that noticed Eric's circling you.", she continued. Ellie was in shock. "She started that gossiping about you, saying that you were highly ranked because of him. You know how people reacted lately to everything.", Ellie understood the situation was odd, but what she didn't know was just how far the stories went by now.

"I got ranked because of Eric?", Ellie mutinied. "I? That's absurd, Christina.", she was out of her place. "I fought for this. We all fought for this.", the girl was slowly bursting into resentment.

"I know and you deserved every point you've got

"I know and you deserved every point you've got.", Christina now strived to alleviate the situation by putting hands on Ellie's shoulders.
She tried to make it up to her because she realized that she screwed up now
and that she screwed up big. It was a party tonight, they were supposed to have their deserved fun. Instead, Ellie got a bag full of Eric again.

Will looked pissed, too.

Ellie veered her eyes to him for one second and then realized that he knew.
And that he has chosen not to tell her.
Her best friend from childhood.
Not telling her things.
Great.