x21 You don't get to leave me

xFair warning: long chapter ahead

Four didn't respond, trying to remain collected all the way

Four didn't respond, trying to remain collected all the way. Eleanor could only imagine how shocking this was for him too.

He was the first person to welcome her to Dauntless this year.
They met, they trained, he taught her and her whole group how to fight.
They had meals together in the public dining room, they shared a faction.

And they shared the same blood in their veins their whole time, completely clueless to Evelyn's sins and how they marked them both.
For the rest of their lives.

Being in the positions as they were, there was a fair possibility one would kill the other eventually through time.

Four and Eric were arch enemies and if it ever came to a choice between them, Eleanor would have chosen Eric without any question.
And would pose a death threat to her brother at the same time, never actually knowing what a sin she might commit in doing so.

But, life had its humorous ways of playing the game as ever, so, luckily, it never came to that.

But, ultimately, it did come to the acknowledgment of the fundamental truth in their lives.

That could explain the connection Ellie felt towards Four and Tris from the very beginning; her persistent, absurd need to save her life even though they hardly got to spend any time together during the Initiation.
It meant to her unknown brother, so it automatically meant to her too.
Tris was the link in showing them who they were the whole time.
And Eric... Eric was the one who kept them from tearing each other's heads by any accident that could have happened, posing himself as a target the whole time.

They both played their roles brilliantly in the Eaton family theater's play.
The only distinction is that it cost Eric his head and, with that, Ellie her heart.
And that is so sad, she thought to herself.

"Do you remember what I've told you?", Four eventually halted.

"About what? I've heard a lot of things tonight.", Ellie's face revealed discontent. "Trust me, there is nothing I can forget."