Chapter 22 - The Reality of No Return

"Watch where you're going, Elf Girl!"

The short, blonde girl held her head down as she pushed through the tall crowd, bright green eyes blinking back tears.

Students towered over her as she hurried through, black witch hat pulled low over her face. Some of them looked down on her like she were an adorable puppy. Some of them sneered down at her as if she were a lump of cat poop.

"Awww just look at her, Sasha!" A third-former exclaimed, pressing her hand to her heart. "She's so cute and tiny!"

"Where did she come from? Dwarf Land?" A group of wizards snickered at her.

Laughter followed her as she ducked out of the corridor.

If only they would stop.

It's not my fault I'm short. 

It's not my fault I look like an elf or dwarf or something.

"Oof!" 

She looked downwards to see a black-haired girl on the ground, papers littered all around.

"Oh, I'm so so sorry!" The blonde girl rushed to her side to help pick up her papers. From the other side of the corridor, students peered in, giggling under their breaths. "I didn't see where I was going and—"

"It's okay," the black-haired girl said softly, bright eyes peering from under her witch hat. "I'm Malena—what's your name?"

"HER NAME IS ELF GIRL!!!" A wizard shouted from the crowd. Laughter chorused along with his.

The blonde girl ducked her head, face flushing scarlet.

"I'm Valisha Ambershine," she said softly, not meeting Malena's gaze. "But they call me Elf Girl."

"Then what should I call you?"

Valisha looked up slowly, surprised that Malena actually seemed to want to know her.

"You—you can call me Lisha, I guess."

"Do you wanna be friends?" Malena asked suddenly, then flushed red, eyes averting downwards. "Okay, that sounds weird. I mean, like, it's okay if you don't want to, 'cause you barely know me but—"

"No, it's okay," Lisha said quickly. "I'd love to."

The laughter around her dissipated as she smiled to herself.

Her first friend.

                                                                               ***

"This is so not okay!" Lisha screamed. "You're my first friend! They can't take you away just because you were at the bottom—"

"I'll come back, I promise," Malena assured her. "Sooner or later I'll graduate, and I'll come back to see all of you."

"I'm so sorry," Lisha said. Her green eyes suddenly narrowed. "Alana should be the one getting kicked out. I never should have let her set foot in this school in the first place."

Malena whirled around to face Lisha. Under her dark bangs, her eyes were angry.

"Lisha, I'm getting tired of you being so spiteful, okay?" Malena said softly, lip trembling slightly. "Ever since you became friends with Evie, you changed—"

Lisha froze.

"I don't mean to offend you," Malena said quickly. "But you of all people know how it feels to be hurt—so why are you so mean to Alana?"

"You were friends with Evie too!" Lisha snapped. "And you were mean to Alana too—"

"But now I regret that, okay?" Malena massaged her temples. "I know I was mean at first, but when I'm gone I don't want you to—"