Chapter 23 - Warnings

"It's all your fault!" Evie cried, face buried into her pillow. She sobbed, "Lisha hates me. It's—it's all y—your fault!"

"I'm sorry, okay?" Alana sighed, exasperated. She paused. "Wait—Lisha hates you?"

"You never really understand, do you?" Evie looked up at Alana, her face wet and her eyes red. "You ruined my life," she said with enough conviction to make Alana flinch. She pointed to the door, "Now get out of it."

"I can help you, Evie," Alana said. "I used to consider you a friend—"

Evie barked a laugh. The shrill, harsh sound made Alana flinch again.

"I'd never be friends with a coven-less," Evie spat, before choking on her tears again. 

Alana swallowed. She stared up at the ceiling, forcing herself to not overthink too much. Evie was throwing a tantrum, that's all. People say mean things when they're sad and angry.

"You don't even have a coven!" Evie went on, voice high-pitched, not noticing Alana. "You don't even have proper magic—"

"Just stop," Alana sat up in her bed to glare at Evie from across the room, violet eyes burning with conviction.

"You have no right to hurt me just because you're in a bad mood right now," Alana said coldly, taking deep breaths  as Evie glared right back at her with blue bloodshot eyes. "I didn't steal your first place ranking on purpose—"

"That's not what this is about!" Evie retorted. She pointed at the door again, "Get. Out. Right. Now."

"Then what is it about?" Alana demanded. 

"My mother keeps—ugh. Who cares anyway?" Evie crossed her arms across her chest, glaring at Alana. "Don't try to make me feel better when you don't understand what you're talking about."

Alana barely registered the latter part of Evie's words.

Her mother?

What does her mother 'keep doing'?

Alana's mind thought back to Headwitch Storm, with her tight bun and lifted chin, and her perpetually narrowed blue eyes.

She immediately felt a pang of sympathy for Evie.

No wonder.

"And Lisha," Evie was saying. "She doesn't understand either. She only cares about Malena. What about me? She doesn't bother about my personal life, doesn't she?"

Alana opened her mouth to speak, but Evie rambled on as if forgetting she was there.

"How dare she think I don't care about Malena. How dare she think that I'm self-obsessed!" Evie turned to Alana abruptly. Her ice-blue eyes drilled into her violet ones. "Do you think I'm self-obsessed?"

"I—uh—"

Evie's eyes flashed.

"You know what?" Evie snapped. She got out of her bed. "I'm so done. So, so, so done."

Evie briskly walked over to the opposite side of the room, and flung open the windows to reveal broad daylight. She raised two fingers to her lips and blew hard. With a screech, a bright blue peacock flew right through the window.

"Come Sappi," Evie huffed, throwing an evil look at Alana. "Let's let Miss Ever So Perfect sleep in peace." 

And with that, she walked straight out the door. 

And slammed it hard.

Well. That just happened.

Despite everything Evie had said, Alana couldn't help but feel... sorry for her.