Shame

When everyone had separated, Veronica went home, Betty stayed at the hospital all the while Archie drove in silence with Jughead and Avalon. He dropped them off, said goodbye, and left. Jughead reassured Avalon that nothing was going to happen and that she should just go upstairs when they get inside. Avalon didn't dare speak as they walked in or any time after that.

"Where were you?!" Their father shouted as he marched towards the door. "I thought you were dead, thank god. Where's my truck?!"
"Dad, I'll explain everything. Avalon, just go upstairs." Jughead waved her off. She didn't hesitate until she got to the stairs and she looked back.
"Where are you going?! No, you're a part of this!" Her father pointed directly at the floor as a signal for her to step forward and face him. She didn't.
"Dad, it's not her fault."
"I don't care who's damn fault it is, I want my truck!"
Avalon flinched as his voice grew louder. She hoped Jughead didn't see.
"Dad, I told you, it's my fault." Jughead repeated.
"Get out of my house, you're not my son." FP pointed to the front door Jughead and Avalon had just walked through. Jughead took a breath to control his anger before speaking. "Fine. It's not like you were ever going to get your act together anyway. Avalon, grab your stuff and let's go." Avalon nodded and ran upstairs not only just to grab her stuff but get changed out of Archie's sweatshirt. She couldn't lie, it didn't smell great.

While Avalon was getting her stuff together, Jughead did something he should have a done a long time ago. He left. He simply just walked out of his own home, expecting to never come back.
"You're not my son!" FP screamed as his one and only son walked out the front door. "Remember that!" He kept yelling and pointing at the closed door. Upstairs, Avalon flinched at every comment coming out of his mouth as she threw and stuffed hunts deep into her black bag. She was glad she was finally getting out of here. No more father, no more alcohol, no more having to cook for herself which always ended in a bruise. She wasn't great with the stove.

Avalon was finally done getting ready and hurried downstairs, hoping to pass her "great" dad without him seeing

Avalon was finally done getting ready and hurried downstairs, hoping to pass her "great" dad without him seeing. Well, he did.
"Avalon!" He screamed and although she hated it, she did it again. She flinched. "Get over here now."
Gripping her bag tight, Avalon turned around slowly to face her father. If Jughead could do it, so could she.
"No." She said firmly.
"Avalon." FP warned.
"No dad, I'm done. I'm leaving. I'm going with Jughead!"
"Why I outta..." FP gripped onto Avalon's arm before she could dodge it. She tried to pry his hand off but it didn't work and his grip was tightening.
"Dad, you're hurting me!" She cried.
"Go to your room, now!"
But she refused. She kept on trying to pull his hand off as her arm began to turn red. Then purple. And then, creek! Avalon turned her head around as tears sprang from her eyes. The pain, she thought. Help.
"Avalon let's go." Jughead said firmly, pointing at the door before making sense of the situation. "Dad, what are you doing?!" Avalon looked to her brother, pleadingly. Help, she mouthed and as a result, Jughead took another step closer. "Let her go."
"Or what?" FP smirked. "Gonna hit your old man? Go ahead, I'd like to see you try."
"Oh wow, how original."
FP pulled his daughter back and behind him before deciding to tease. "Go on."
There was a moment where Jughead thought of what to do. So many options but only one would result in the less pain. In a quick and single motion, Jughead kicked his father in the stomach and he stumbled back, holding his stomach with both hands. What did that mean? That Ava was free. She ran to her brother who gently pushed her towards the front door. As she walked out, she slipped on a hoodie, hiding the pain she had just received.

She wiped her tears as she heard the door slam behind her

She wiped her tears as she heard the door slam behind her. Neither of them dared to speak. They sat at the end of the driveway and Jughead pulled out his phone, calling Archie.
"Hey bro, can you come pick us up? Sorry, it's just not working out here." He says.
"Uh, man, I'm sorry. I'm at the gym. Maybe try calling Ronnie? Or I can be there but it'll be 20 minutes."
"That's fine. See you later."
"Ok, bye."
Jughead shoved his phone back into his pocket after ending the call. H looked at the ground as him and his sister sat at the curb on the side of the road and just outside their house that they didn't dare to call home. After a moment, the silence was broken.
"How long?" Jughead spoke.
"What?" Avalon asked, looking up.
"How long has it been going on for? How long, Avalon and don't even think about lying to me."
Avalon didn't speak, she just thought.
"How long, Avalon?" Jughead urged, finally looking at her.
"Since we moved." She mumbled and Jughead sighed.
"Are you kidding? Why didn't you tell me? Avalon, you already have anxiety! Now I just find out our dad is not only an alcoholic but abusive too?!"
"I'm sorry." She choked.
"Just tell me, is there anything else going on? Anything I should know about?"
Avalon thought for a moment. "There's this guy I like..."
"A guy? Really, Avalon? You have an abusive father, anxiety and now you're thinking of boys?!"
"Right, sorry."
"Don't. I can't even with you right now." Jughead shook his head and they sat there in silence until Archie arrived.

It wasn't long. It felt long, but it wasn't. Avalon felt bad. This was all her fault. She should have told Jughead and this problem would have been fixed a long time ago. If she had told him the first time she had been hit, maybe she wouldn't have anxiety now. Maybe she could be a normal girl. Maybe she could be better then who she is. Maybe she would actually mean something to someone, she thought. Or maybe, this was her fate, her destiny. It would always be this way. Terrible.