Chapter 10

"It's not safe to leave alone."

"I'm the Emperor, dear." The corner of his eyes crinkled at Jennie's concern. "The guards and our General will be with me the entire time. I will return perfectly fine."

"I still see no understandable reason as to why they have requested your presence."

"Whatever it may be, it is for the benefit of the kingdom and I cannot decline it." She was still reluctant about letting her father leave the kingdom to leave for Baekje but there wasn't much she could do.

"Will the guards be with you?"

"A few of our strongest soldiers. And the General will also come along" He reassured Jennie. "Your guard had promised to return to you soon. By the time we leave, you will be in the hands of your new guard."

Jennie gasped slightly when she heard him. That would mean the General will no longer be by her side. There was a slight sting at her heart which she chose to ignore.

"Why are you showing me such a desolate face?" The Emperor mistook her feelings. "I will return back to you safely."

Jennie was still glad to hear those words from his mouth. She bid her leave and walked away to find Nayeon.

----------

"Good morning." Jisoo yawned to Nayeon, sauntering to hunch over the flowers she was holding.

"You don't seem to be having a good morning." The servant giggled, pulling the General down to sit beside her.

"I got no rest last night and the soldiers are so persistent in being prepared that they wouldn't let me leave until morning training ended."

"The winds of luck must be on your side considering the princess had a private meeting with the Emperor today."

"Have never been more fortunate." Jisoo leaned against Nayeon who stiffened at the contact. "Though it still is a bit unfortunate. I do not get to see her face first in the morning."

"I have been meaning to ask you on this very matter. I do not mean to offend your feelings but please be honest with me."

"I already understand what will be spoken and yes, my feelings for the princess are genuine and real. I feel nothing but love for her."

"How?" Nayeon could not grasp it. It took her years to warm up to Jeongyeon. Though she already had some mixed feelings for her in the beginning, it still took her a long period of time to understand them.

"You met with her barely a few weeks ago. How can you be so sure of yourself?"

"Time does not determine my affections. The moment I laid my eyes on her I was swayed by her beauty, though it didn't mean much to me as the overwhelming feeling of losing my own heart to her."

"Isn't that a bit dramatic?"

"There is no beautiful way to explain I'm lonely." Jisoo fondly smiled at Nayeon who remained speechless at her unexpected words. "I don't want beauty. I want an identity. One that will allow me to stay beside her."

"You really are quite the romantic for someone that was raised on bloodshed, General Lee." Jisoo chuckled at the comment.

"I'm even unable to recognize myself."

The words carried heavier weight than she wanted to admit. Her mind will never leave that night.

"On that note, how is Jeongyeon?" A teasing smile laid on her face.

"Jeongyeon? Haha! What? Guard Yoo?" Nayeon's heart was racing already.

"I'm not as oblivious and sheltered as the princess to not figure out such things." Jisoo beamed at her. "So? Tell me? How long?"