The Black Book & Small Compartments

I decided to take the book with me and read it on the way back to Hogwarts. That was a stupid decision, but I didn't know it back then. When I received the book, there was still a day until we got back on the train so I could've read it then. But no, for some reason I just had to wait until we were on our way back to school.

Which is where I am, right now. Surrounded by my friends who are off in their own conversations while I stare at the book in my lap. Nervous to open it and unsure of what I'll find out.

I'm hoping it's good information only. I can't stand anymore let downs.

Draco and Blaise are sitting across from me and are going on about the new year and quidditch. Theo is sitting across from them by the door, listening and shaking his head. Apparently they're arguing about who will be a better captain. Enzo is sitting by the window right across from me, staring out of it and ignoring the rest of us. Mattheo is sitting next to me with his nose in a book.

Daphne and Astoria came by to say hello but wanted to sit with their other friends. It makes sense. Parkinson doesn't like me, and they're all friends. Plus there's not a whole lot of room in this compartment with all the guys.

I look back down at the book in my lap and sigh. Why did I think it was a good idea to start this now? Surrounded by all of them and no where to go incase I need a moment.

Mattheo nudges my arm gently to get my attention and when I look up at him, he gets closer and whispers so only I hear him. "You okay?"

"I'm okay," I reply. He can be so nice sometimes but other times... the complete opposite. Although he has been sitting beside Theo and hasn't said a single rude thing. That's improvement. "Promise," I add.

"What's with the book? You're holding onto it like your life depends on it," he asks as he motions to the book in my lap.

I let out a shaky laugh. "That's because it kind of does rely on it," I say, half jokingly.

His eyes widen and he glances between me and the book. "W-what?"

"I'm only joking," I say when I notice he actually looks concerned. "It's- it was my uncles."

"Ah," Mattheo says. He suddenly looks tense and I don't know what happened? He's usually so.. light? Seems so relaxed and confident. Suddenly he's not though.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. Now I'm starting to get worried.

"Please, you wouldn't last 5 minutes as a captain. First girl to walk by and you'd be gone!" Draco shouts, interrupting our conversation but we ignore him.

"Nothing, I just don't think you'd like who your uncle was..."

Well now he has my attention.

"Pardon me?" I ask him, a little louder than I meant to.

"I-" Mattheo says nervously as all the guys turn to see what just happened. "I mean... you know what I mean. He had the mark, right? And you seem... good. So, that might bother you."

My hands clutch around the book even tighter to stop me from slapping him in the face.

How dare he?

"You don't know anything," I say. My voice more quiet now.

"I- you're right." He gives in. "I didn't mean to- I wasn't trying to be-"

"Okay," I say. Clearly he was just trying to look out for me. If I read the book and was... disappointed, it would hurt me. He was just giving me a heads up. "Okay."

I reach over and put my hand gently over his. For a second, he just stares at me with big, hopeful eyes... but a second later he pulls away and looks like the same Mattheo. The one who doesn't have emotions.