Fifth Year

Fifth year is a lot different than the other two years I've spent here. Although both years I've been here have been very different from each other, this year already seems so different. Darker.

Harry lost a friend at the end of last year and came back claiming that 'the dark lord is back' and no one is believing him.

I don't know the full story but I have been researching it. I know he's no good and his pull with my family is... judging from the past, it's strong. That makes me nervous.

Of course I believe Harry. Despite the ministry and the rest of the school. Why would he lie about that? It makes no sense.

Not that it matters anyway because they're avoiding me again.

On top of that, the book that I got from Narcissa is... a lot. A lot to take in and a lot to deal with on my own. I've written to my father, no response.

Not a surprise though.

I'm on the way to the owlery to send a letter to Remus right now. Not really about the book. Just checking in with each other. Seeing how he's doing.

I notice Mattheo walking towards me down the hallway but he's with Parkinson. Hopefully they just walk by me and don't stop...

We haven't spoken, like really spoken, since the day on the train. He's been avoiding me. He doesn't meet me in the common room at night to talk. If he does see me, he just walks straight up to his dorm without saying a word. If he's with the group, he'll say one or two words to me if he has to, but nothing like we used to be.

I don't even know what happened. I hate it.

They're getting closer.

Just keep your head forward and keep walking.

They're nearly right in front of me now.

And...

"Glad to see your friendship with the Gryffindors are over. Thought for a moment that you were a traitor. Screaming dark lord every chance you get, you know, for attention." Parkinson says to me.

Don't react.

"No wonder your father doesn't want you. You're one of us. He prefers Potter because he's one of them."

"Fuck off, would you?" I snap, turning around to face her. She's smirking. This is what she wants.

Mattheo has a bored expression on his face but he's masking it. It's not how he really feels but he doesn't want to show me that.

"Do you two not have anything better to do than bother me? We could've just walked by each other and pretended we didn't exist. That's what you wanted, isn't it?" I pause and glance to Mattheo. A crack in his mask was visible for like one second before he caught himself. I glare at Parkinson and add, "Just leave me the fuck alone."

"Well, I could, but it's much more fun seeing the reactions I can get from you."

Bitch.

"Get a life," I say.

"Says you," she continues. "What? Let me guess, you're heading to the owlery to send yet another letter to your father who doesn't want you, or to Lupin, who can't take you. That's why you have to life with Draco, isn't it? Because no one else wants you. Not even your own father-"

I'm reaching for my wand now but as soon as I do, Mattheo wakes up from his apparent slumber and grabs my hand.

"No, don't do that." He says to me calmly. Parkinson smirks smugly over his shoulder because he's protecting her.