Star Trek Voyager: Lost and Found (Chapter 6)

Seven lay on her bed on her quarters, for third time that day fighting back tears. Why am I still here? I’ve laid their mines. Her plan to alert Starfleet had come to nothing, twelve weeks after she had set the first one and she was still completely in the power of Johnson and Section 31. With every passing day the ship went deeper into Romulan space and her own personal situation worsened. Her hand moved unconsciously to her abdomen, at fourteen weeks she was beginning to show, when she looked in the mirror the seriousness of her situation hit her with a new force. At least the nausea seems to have ceased, I can think of an escape plan easier when I’ve not got my head in a bucket every ten minutes. Just as this thought passed through her head the personification of her fears came sauntering into the room. “Good Morning Annika” said Johnson with a sneer, he had begun to use her former name constantly when he realised how much it unnerved her. He sat on the only chair in the room, his eyes swiftly sweeping over and taking in her swelling figure. “Well, you’re coming along aren’t you?”

“What do you want?” Seven snapped.

“Now don’t get hormonal, I just wanted to ask you something.” He pulled a data pad out from behind his back and handed it to her.

Reading the pad with her habitual speed, Seven’s glare deepened. “The Lumarin sonic blaster? Why do you want to ask questions about that?”

“Your own research says it is very destructive, virtually undetectable until it hits and can be fired while a ship’s shield is up. I want you to equip this ship with one.”

“What? No!”

He scoffed at her. “Annika, Annika, we’ve had this conversation and I’m sure you remember how it ends…” He grabbed her face and twisted it round, his nails bruising the fragile skin. “You still have no choice! Your situation is unchanged!”  He let go of her as suddenly as he had pounced and walked to the door. “You have four weeks until we reach the chosen target.” He waved into the room a particularly large brutish guard. “Ixan here will be your guide as you work, as long as you’re with him you have free rein to do as you must to build this weapon. I will be following your work closely.” With that parting threat he left, but the guard remained in the room with her.

“Come, you must begin.” Said the guard in a deep listless voice.

Seven almost refused but saw his finger near the trigger of his large phaser rifle and reluctantly allowed him to lead her to the bowels of the ship.

At first she could do nothing except work on her horrific task as a at least one engineering officer as well as Ixan the guard watched her constantly, but as the day wore on their concentration began to slip and she saw her chance. Discreetly pulling up a plan of the ship, she memorised it. The transporters wouldn’t do her much good, there wasn’t anywhere to beam to; she would have to use a shuttle. That was a suicide mission surely, she would have to disable all the scanners, so that they wouldn’t see her leaving and then try and flee. Her mind was processing this just as she caught her guard looking at her uneasily, he was afraid of her. She glanced down at her cybernetic hand, a plan forming in her head as she set the scanners to deactivate on a timer, there were some advantages to having visible implants.  

Afternoon became evening and Seven decided to go ahead with her plan, turning to her guard she said, “I must go to my daily medical check now.”

“Later. Continue to work.” The guard replied gruffly, not looking her in the eye.

Seven took a step forward so that their bodies collided, extending the nanoprobe injectors in her hand at that moment and pressing them into his side without piercing the skin. “No, now.” She ordered quietly. The man froze as he realised what was happening, the threat had the desired affect and he walked with her to sick bay without alerting anyone.