Star Trek Voyager: Lost and Found (Chapter 17)

“No, you’re wrong! As I’ve made clear through my whole testimony Seven shouldn’t have been charged at all, she’s a victim!” exclaimed Lyudmila passionately, glaring at Alkin who was looking dissatisfied.

“Thank you Mrs Stonetsky, you may step down now.” Lyudmila arched her shoulders defiantly as she stepped down from the witness box, giving Seven a supportive look as she returned to her seat. Alkin watched all this, Chakotay could practically see the cogs in his brain turning in calculation, and suddenly turned himself to face the judges. “Sirs, Ma’am…” He began respectfully, “I’d like to call Seven of Nine to the stand for questioning.”

The Trill judge, Yulinda Sel, turned to Bennet. “Defence?”

“We also want Seven to have her chance to testify.” He said smoothly.

“Shall we start now then?” Alkin challenged, itching for the fight.

Bennet caught himself in time to stop an insolent answer leaving his mouth and faced Seven who nodded in resignation. “We are prepared.”

“Fine. Seven of Nine must report to the stand.” Sel intoned. Seven wondered if those words would seal her fate as she shakily rose to her feet, refusing Bennet’s helpful arm as she made her way up the short yet intimidating flight of steps and sat down before the crowd of faces which varied in expression from curious to condemning.

Bennet began with slow consideration, keeping his steady eyes locked on hers as he spoke. “Now let’s get the elephant out the room at the beginning. If you don’t mind Seven tell us when and how you were assimilated.”

“I was assimilated with my parents on Stardate 5432.6, the 31st of June 2354.” Seven replied with quiet clarity, she had been asked this question so many times it didn’t really disturb her and her face remained calm.

Bennet paused for a second in thought, “So you were only a week past your sixth birthday when the Borg took you?”

“Correct.”

“And when were you freed from the Collective?”

“The crew of Voyager freed me on Stardate 7321.1, the 2nd of February 2373.”

“You were a drone for over eighteen and a half years, it was all you knew…Have you seen your parents again since?”

Seven swallowed involuntarily. “No. It is most likely that they either remain drones or are deceased.”

Bennet was about to speak again but Alkin broke in. “I am interested to understand why you then do not use the name your parents gave you and instead identify yourself as a Borg first…” Before Bennet could utter his angry retort he added, “…with all that that entails.”

If anyone outside that courtroom had made that remark Seven would have told them sharply to mind their own business but she knew she must be as candid as possible here. “When I was first freed, I was angry, resentful…frightened. I did…not want to be human. I kept my designation and the crew indulged me…”

“And now that those fears are gone?” Bennet encouraged.

“Now it feels different, my human name reminds of me of my parents, the humanity I lost. When someone calls me Seven I feel they have accepted that I was once Borg but now am human, it is my name.”

Bennet smiled at the truthfulness emanating from her and Alkin scowled, though out of sight of almost everyone before recollecting himself. “Tell us about how you ended up on the warbird aiding Johnson.”

“I did not willingly go with him. Twelve days before my abduction I was approached by Commander Berg…”

“Johnson’s associate.” Bennet clarified helpfully.