Chapter 8

Mary Lowe's POV

Alexa is doing incredible, the way she processes and understands the author's intentions and emotions, the way she can relate the words to her life and current situations. She's got an incredible mind, I could listen to her talk for a very long time.

That's a teachers greatest accomplishment, though I can't take much credit she had this marvellous outlook before she started here. Sarah on the other hand... as I expected is reading the card Alexa wrote for her. Barely. I can't let this slide, so I will just throw in a few questions at the end.

"That's really interesting girls. Sarah do you think it, sort of matches societies general views back then?" I ask very vaguely. What I'm actually talking about is the use of Calpurnia teaching the children about equality, as an insight to how the different races were treated at the time. We will see what she thinks.

"I'm sorry, how come no one else had to answer questions?" Sarah frowns at me with a sarcastic scoff. I stand, moving to sit on the edge of my desk facing them. "This is just my curiosity, your presentation is easily the most detailed and elaborate so far. You both must have done extensive research on the novel. So Sarah... my question?"

A look of panic flashes across her face until she clears her throat. "Yes, I think it does match society. She's the nanny and takes them to church that happens often." What? I squint my eyes a little bit. That's not remotely what I asked. "Alexa, can you answer the question correctly for me."

"Lee uses Calpurnia as a window into the world of black citizens in Maycomb, for both the reader and Scout. She teaches Scout and Jem about equality as well as kindness and respect. It matches society at that time, where segregation was still very much happening and the book was written and published just before the peak of the civil rights movement." Alexa explains eloquently.

That's my girl. I smile and look at Sarah for a second "Sarah how much of this book have you read?" I ask, I know this is harsh the entire class is watching but I won't have another student be used as a fall back. "I've read the whole thing Miss." She replies.

"Hmm and how much of this presentation did you do, Sarah?" I ask not acknowledging her clear lie. She glares at Alexa which doesn't go unnoticed. "We worked on it together, we were both in the library last night. Weren't we Alexa?" She turns to the girl beside her.

"Yes, we were miss. We were there until after 5." Alexa explains. I sigh, I know she feels like she has to but I wish she wouldn't lie for this girl. "I'll speak to you both at the end."

The girls sit down and I silence everyone who's muttering between themselves, explaining how tomorrow will work and when there grades will be posted for the end of the year. I still can't believe we're nearly at summer break.

The bell rings and everyone packs up to leave. Alexa stays seated and I notice Sarah head towards the door. "Sarah Knight." I say sternly, causing her to turn around and groan as she walks back to her desk. Alexa has such a worried look on her face so I give her a smile, a real warm smile to let her know she's not in trouble here.

"Do you know what, I really like the library here, it's peaceful. Sylvia, the librarian and I get on really well." If there's anything I've learnt over my many years of teaching it's how to make students realise they've been caught with out directly telling them, leaving them with no way out.

I don't tolerate liars. I don't tolerate laziness. I don't tolerate kids like Sarah taking advantage of other kids like Alexa. I certainly don't tolerate cheating for a grade.

"I actually popped in there last night." Alexa's eyes nearly pop out of her head as Sarah still seems to be putting two and two together. "I passed you actually as you were leaving, Sarah. However, Alexa was still busy working... My favourite thing about Sylvia is that she loves every student in this school, she's very observant, likes to make sure people are okay."