Chapter 12

Scarlett's POV

I open the door when I hear Lizzie's car pull up. She rushes to me and gives me a quick hug before trying to get past me but I hold on to her arm to stop her. "She's fast asleep with Rose on the couch. I've made you some dinner, eat and then you can wake her." I tell her, leaving her with no room to argue.

I know after a long day of work she won't have eaten anything proper yet, and the girls are peacefully asleep there's no harm in letting them stay on the couch a little longer. She sighs but nods in agreement as I lead her into the kitchen, there was some Spaghetti left over so I plated it up ready for her.

I get us both a glass of water each and sit beside Lizzie as she eats. "Alexa called me, that's who I was on the phone to. I would've told you but she asked me not to. She was really upset, I just thought it was better to get to her and make sure she was okay and then go from there." I explain, keeping my voice soft and gentle.

I know Lizzie better than she knows herself. I know exactly how her brain works so I keep explaining what I can, answering the questions I know she'll want to ask me. Lizzie seems to take it all in and places her left hand onto my arm. "I'm not mad at you, I know you would have told me if it was something you thought I should know, I'm glad she feels comfortable coming to you, so thankyou. "

I can tell by the look on her face and the sadness in her eyes that even though she understands, she's still a bit hurt that Alexa came to me and not her. We return back to a silence, it's not particularly uncomfortable but it's not our usual peaceful silence that I love either.

Her left hand still holds my arm as she eats with the fork in her right, meanwhile Alexa's phone is still vibrating now and then at the other side of the table and I know Lizzie has noticed it. "Was she at Sarah's? Did something happen with them?" She asks me as she finishes up, I take her plate and put it in the sink.

"I'm not sure, she was in a neighbourhood about a mile and a half away from the school, sitting on a bench. She's barely spoke since we got back, I figured she needed some time, but no she never mentioned her." I explain. I wish I knew what had gone on. Alexa didn't mention Sarah and thinking about it now, when she was telling me things she could see she didn't mention Sarah's house either.

Alexa's phone buzzes again interrupting the silence, Lizzie moves to go and pick it up but I stop her. "Lizzie you can't look through her phone." I say softly. It's not just because of what I think the messages are, but Alexa wouldn't be happy if her mom went through her phone without asking and rightly so.

Lizzie seems to ignore me and again goes to pick it up as, what I'm guessing is another text message, comes through. "Elizabeth, stop. You can't invade her privacy like that, it's not fair." I say a bit firmer, this time putting my hand on her shoulder.

"Scarlett, I don't understand what's going on. My daughter was supposed to be going to her friends house, who apparently isn't actually her friend. I don't know if she even went, which means I don't know what she was doing or where she was for well over an hour after school. Then she calls you to pick her up because she's upset? You don't know why, I don't know why and now her phone is blowing up with messages." Lizzie rants while getting more and more upset as she speaks.

I pull her into my arms as she starts to cry. "I know, I know. I told her she needs to talk to you about whatever it is that's happened, but you can't go through her things." I reason softly into her ear as her tears slow down.

"I'll take Rose up to bed and then I'll wake Alexa, you stay in here and calm down. If she sees you upset she's not going to want to tell you what's going on..." I start to explain with a sigh. "Liz, that's why she didn't want me to tell you I was picking her up. She's so worried about upsetting you or adding any extra stress to your day that she's closing herself off and shutting you out." I say finally looking directly into her glossy eyes.