Chapter 25

Alexa's POV

I'm nervous, not quite crippling with anxiety but nervous.

Things between mom and I have been so good recently, but there's still something coming between us. The elephant in the room so to speak. I know mom is feeling the same way because she's cleaning, cleaning things that she already cleaned like two days ago. I guarantee there is not a speck of dust to be found in the office.

"Hey sweetheart, are you not dressed? We need to leave in 15 minutes." Mom pokes her head around my door, her hair is tied up in a messy bun with what could either be a dish cloth or a sock, which usually means she had it down first and was nervously twirling it and then it started annoying her.

"Yeah, have you seen my-" I start as I rummage around under my bed and behind my chair. "Dungarees, yes they're in your wardrobe where they should be missy, not on the floor!" Mom jokingly tells me off.

I turn my face a little embarrassed, I know I'm can sometimes be a little messy and mom has had to pick up after me a lot recently. "And my-" I whisper quietly. "Docs are in the closet where..."

"They belong!" We say at the same time. We both laugh and I quickly get dressed while mom goes to put her shoes on. Of course everything is where she says they would be and I grab a cardigan just in case there's a chill in the air.

During the drive to Jane's office I quietly sing along to the radio, there's the same old songs playing but I don't mind it takes my mind off the situation. "I miss hearing you singing, you know." Mom says during an ad break.

"I'm sure you really miss my shower concerts." I smirk back, Mom is always telling me to hurry up when I decide to perform to my shampoo bottle. "Hey I have a front row seat to the best show in town, it just doesn't need to last an hour when we both need to wash our hair." She laughs.

"Are you nervous?" I ask cautiously, she seems calm now but we're also quite early and even with traffic considered, we didn't need to set off so soon. "I guess a little bit, I want to understand more. Maybe we do need a little bit of guidance."

"Me too... can you promise me something mom?" I gulp, feeling my emotions rise as we pull up into a parking lot close by. "Anything." She replies turning to me. I look down and take a breath. "I just, it's silly but... can you promise you won't feel ashamed of me. I don't know what Jane will ask or what she'll bring up, but I was in a weird place and I-"

"Alexa Olsen, I could never be ashamed of you. I know what I said when we argued but truly sweetheart, I promise I could never." Mom interrupts me and I just feel a weight lift, I almost start to tear up because I feel like I finally have my mom back.

"We've got a little bit of time why don't we go and get a coffee?" Mom suggests, pulling out a pair of sunglasses and a hat while passing me a baseball cap which I decide to put on backwards.

"The idea is the hat covers your face!" She laughs at me pulling it back around. "I don't need to hide my face they've never seen it!" I point out turning it back. Mom rolls her eyes at me and nods to get out the car. "Always so sassy." She chuckles under her breath.

We grab a drink just up the road from Jane's office, I actually didn't feel like any caffeine so I just got a Caramel Frappuccino. I don't think it'd agree too well with the little nervous shakes that are building up in me. Mom gets an iced latte and we slowly walk back the way we came.

After a while mom stops suddenly. "Alexa, we have definitely not discussed what we do in this situation and I'm sorry for that but I need you to walk ahead of me and straight into Jane's building okay?" She says quickly and quietly pushing me forwards.