Chapter 14

Alexa's POV

I must have lost track of time, because as I put my plate into the sink I heard the front door swing open with so much force it hit the wall behind with a bang. "Alexa! Please, oh god. ALEXA!" Mom's voice fills the house. Before I can respond she runs into the kitchen and her eyes go wide.

"Alexa Maeve Olsen! I swear, you better have a good reason why you didn't go to school today!" Mom yells out with an exasperated breath. She's never yelled at me before. "You can't just not go and not tell anyone! I saw you leave, did you lie to me this morning?!" I can hear the pain in her voice and she knows I lied, it's probably written all over my face.

"Do you have ANY idea how scared I was? Getting that phone call from your teacher saying you weren't there! I thought something happened to you!" Mom continues. She doesn't give me time to respond to any of her questions, while I try my hardest not to cry as she yells. I know this is my fault. I scared her.

"And then you didn't answer your phone! Why do I even pay for it, if you're not going to answer when I call. God Alexa, anything could have happened-" Mom continues her rant but is interrupted by her phone ringing. She sighs and finally takes a couple of breaths as she answers, giving me chance to breathe a little bit too.

"Yeah we're just leaving home now, we won't be long." Mom says to the person on the phone, running her hand through her hair. She ends the call and turns back to me. "This isn't finished we'll discuss this when we get home, get dressed I'll meet you in the car." She turns around and leaves.

I go and pick up my phone from under the couch, turning it on as I go upstairs to find my jeans. Once I'm dressed, I look and see the missed calls from mom. That's two days in a row I haven't answered her calls, I really don't blame her for being so mad honestly. Much to my surprise, there aren't any more texts in the group just one from Sarah.

I open it to see a link with my name part way through it, nothing else. No explanation, just the link. I hesitate for a second and open it...

@'hope username': what a loser 😂😂😂 how pathetic is that?

(Insert image of Alexa
crying on the bench)
|
|
@sarah username': 😂😂😂
|
|
@'hope username': i'd almost feel bad if she didn't deserve it. hopefully she'll go back to whatever hole she came out of and realise she's not wanted
|
|
@'sarah username': i wonder if there's a returns policy for adoption
|
|
@'random user 1': wait isn't
that the actresses daughter?
|
|
@'random user 2': i'm sure it is
she goes to our school grade
below us
|
|
@'random user 1': oh yeah hangs
out with ruffalo
|
|
@'random user 3': her mom is the really
hot one in marvel right? damn i didn't realise that was her daughter
|
|
@'randomuser4': yeah elizabeth olsen
she's called
|
|
@'hope username': A RETURNS POLICY!! 🤣
|
|
@'lizziestan0216': um what the hell is going on??? is that lizzie's daughter??

It's a Twitter thread. They've put it on Twitter. They've actually... my heart starts to race as I take a deep breath and try to stop the impending panic attack. Mom beeps the horn telling me to hurry up, I somehow manage to pull myself together enough to pretend I'm okay as I lock the door behind me and get in the car.