Chapter 7: Jailhouse Rock

"Surely a project this early on is some sort of human enslavement? We've barely learnt anything we can make a project about!" Nat was complaining and Avelia just humoured her. They had been back at school for 3 weeks now and the homework was coming in thick and fast.

"It's only poetry! It's not like we have to make a fully functioning volcano that explodes!"

"Something tells me that would be better" Nat grumbled to herself. She hated homework with a passion, as any sane person would. She would much rather her evenings being spent in training area of the garage than sat at her desk struggling over math problems.

"Oh shut it, grumpy pants. At least you didn't get put with the weird kid."

Nat paused for a moment and raised one perfect eyebrow. "And who says I didn't?" She quipped and Lia pretended to look offended.

"Um, the excited look that crossed your face when Mrs Taylor announced our names. You can't hide it from me, Romanoff."

"I'm an actor darling" Nat said in her worst British accent, which made Lia burst out laughing, attracting a few odd looks from the seniors who were stood around.

"Yeah yeah. Don't give up the day job. But you know what you can do?" Nat looked expectant. "You can sit your ass on the bike and drive me home. I'm hungry." Lia whined the last part of her comment and Nat gave her a gentle shove.

"Well then stop standing around, because funnily enough you actually have to be on the bike in order for me to take you home." Nat quickly shoved their bags in the box on the back of the motorcycle and held her hand out with a dramatic flourish "M'lady" she bowed and Avelia took her hand sarcastically. A group of kids looked at them weirdly as they walked past.

"On second thoughts... maybe we are the weird kids." Lia mused. Nat turned around and yelled "YOU HATE US 'CAUSE YOU AIN'T US!" Which made the group turn around to look at them again.

"Nat!" Lia hissed. "Shut up! I am not earning that title because of you. Now drive!"

With another eye roll, Nat shoved the helmet on her head. The 2 girls got situated on the bike and they headed for home. Well, at least at first.

Nat drove them through the usual busy streets on their route home, but instead of taking the right turn at the crossroads, she moved over and took the left one instead. Avelia hadn't had much time to look around the town since she moved, so she immediately perked up as she took in her surroundings.

The streets full of large houses quickly turned into an array of shops. Cute little coffee shops with tables outside, some high street fashion stores and several hardware and grocery shops. There was more traffic here, so it gave Lia more time to truly observe her new home.

Nat knew exactly where she wanted to go, having spent multiple summers just hanging out there. The road widened as it turned a highway and she turned into a gas station. Lia chose not to voice her confusion at why they were stopping for gas, but it all became clear when Nat rounded the corner.

A huge building was lit up in colourful neon lights and 'Pip's Diner' was written on a massive sign in the cool retro font. Nat swung the motorcycle into an empty space and took off her helmet, shaking her hair to try and get rid of the ever-dreaded "helmet hair".

Avelia took her helmet off a bit slower, having never seen anything like this before. She'd never stayed in a town long enough to explore and find cool places, so she was in awe. Nat found herself smiling at Lia's childlike wonder.

"What is this place?" Avelia asked aloud, climbing off the bike with her eyes still transfixed.

"You'll find out."