Chapter 61: Sisterly Bonding Session

I'm starting this earlier than normal... will I be on time? - HA past me was super optimistic 😭 also this isn't proofread - sorry

~~~

"I swear if either of them find out, I'm gonna be tomorrow's main course for dinner."

Raven let a laugh burst through her closed lips before she pressed them shut once again. It wasn't funny... well, it shouldn't have been. Yet somehow Avelia's nerves had manifested into humour and both girls had been giggling more than they should, considering their destination.

"It was your idea to go today. I thought we were going to wait until Wednesday," Raven spoke with a sideways glance towards Avelia who rolled her eyes. "You're very persuasive."

"And you're infuriating. One more word and I will leave you at home."

"But-"

Avelia gave her a disapproving look to which Raven's eyes widened and she turned to look at the grey pavement below her feet. Step on a crack, break your mother's back... she didn't have a mother anymore so Raven's black converse happily stomped on particularly large one.

"Okay I don't like the silence," Avelia admitted, the quietness escalating her nerves. "You can speak."

"Why thank you, your majesty," Raven said with a clumsy curtesy as they reached the crossing just beyond the entrance to the main park. Avelia extended her neck and changed her posture to be more regal, looking down her nose at the dark haired girl.

"Good, peasant. You have learned quickly." Raven's jaw dropped and she nudged her in the ribs. "That is not how you treat the queen!"

"I'm not Natasha, you're not my queen." Her eyes narrowed and she tried hard to smother the smirk that spread across her lips, but to no avail. "Or my princess."

A blush rose across Lia's cheeks and she pouted, checking to her left for cars. "Okay there was no need for that!"

Raven just shrugged, smiling to herself proudly. "But I'm not wrong, am I?" Avelia didn't reply, too stubborn to let her friend... or sister... get the upper hand. But that didn't suit Raven at all. "Lia, am I wrong?"

"No," the girl sheepishly admitted, blushing almost as red as her scarf. "But that's it now. Natasha will not be mentioned and you will not talk about my relationship anymore today. Kapeesh?"

"Kapeesh?" Raven answered back with confusion.

"It's like, uhhh, okay! I heard it on a tv show. So I say 'kapeesh' and then you say 'kapeesh' if you agree. Kapeesh?"

"Kapeesh!" Raven's enthusiasm with the weird word just sent them tumbling into a fit of laughter as they finally crossed the road as the cars came to a standstill. "It sounds so stupid."

"That's because it is!" Something caught Avelia's eye in the window of the antique store but she forced herself to keep moving. No. More. Books. "But the dumber the better, I think."

"I agree."

Raven's old street wasn't too different from the others around Norwood, but it didn't stop the hairs from prickling on the backs of their necks as they trudged down the worn pavement. There was nothing out of the ordinary to see: a teenage boy walking his dog, a couple of children riding their bikes, yelling to each other, and elderly couple shuffling along with a few grocery bags.

The dark house loomed in the distance and Lia suddenly stopped, her feet digging into the concrete. Raven kept walking for a few steps before realising her partner was no longer moving.