Chapter 47: your... energy drink?

okay wtf... Emerald Eyes is officially a year old!! I actually can't believe it omg!

~~~

"Natasha..."

...

"Natasha? Can you answer the question please?"

...

"Miss Romanoff? Is everything okay?"

Nat jumped in her seat, jolting back to reality. She peered over at the source of the noise and grimaced apologetically at her teacher who was pointing to the question on the board. "Sorry Ma'am. I- I wasn't listening." She replied truthfully, knowing she couldn't wiggle her way out of this one.

"I can see that. Pay attention next time. I can't have students falling asleep in my classes." Nat nodded and internally sighed with relief as the teacher directed her attention back to the board.

The redhead rubbed her hands over her face, completely missing Lia's concerned expression from across the room. Geography class was the only one where they had a seating plan and couldn't sit next to each other, and Lia resented it. Especially right now.

Her fingers itched to send a quick text to Nat, but the strict no phone policy made her wary. Nat looked a mess, and her phone was probably not on silent. She didn't want to be the reason Nat got her phone confiscated. That was the last thing they needed.

Instead, the brunette tried her best to get Nat's attention from across the room, but her actions proved worthless. Every little cough or shuffle she did was futile. Natasha seemed dead to the world. After being late to history class the previous period, she looked exhausted and Lia didn't know why. Nat brushed off what had happened at lunch, not wanting to talk.

"Avelia, can we face the front please? You're not in kindergarten anymore, you know how to sit on a chair." Lia rolled her eyes subtly but turned around anyway. Right now didn't exactly feel like the right time to explain that she'd never been in Kindergarten, seeing as she was born in a cell.

The normalisation of her life hit her at that moment. 10 years ago she was most likely sat in a cell, her powers the only thing stopping her from being killed. But here, no one except from Nat knew about her powers. To the guy sat next to her, she was just the fidgety girl he saw every other week. To the rest of the school, she was a nobody.

She wasn't a weirdo, but she wasn't anything special.

She could reinvent herself here. She wasn't Avelia Maximoff, Daughter of Wanda Maximoff, the girls with the weird fingers. She was just Lia. Girlfriend to Natasha. Friends to Maria, Clint, Steve, Bucky and occasionally Valkyrie, if she was around. Her 'power' was how quickly she could read books. The magic that came from within her was her singing voice. She was completely different now... the powers being an added bonus.

She was safe.

Her only worry now being why Natasha was acting weird. But with 10 minutes left of the class, she could wait to ask. Lia was already plotting in her mind the best way to spend this evening and she couldn't help the tiny smile that broke out across her face as she copied notes from the textbook.

"-and don't forget your homework due for 2 weeks. I want those essays to be your best work guys. Don't leave them to the last minute." The teacher called out over the noise of everyone packing their bags and scraping their chairs along the floor to leave. Lia packed up and slipped over to Nat, who was packing up but slowly.