Chapter 27: Origami Flowers

hello awesome humans. thank you for reading todays chapter :)

~~~

The final class of the day was relatively quiet and Lia was grateful. Lunch was intense and she felt exhausted from using her powers in a way she wasn't used to, so the thought of reading a book during her last lesson was the image of paradise.

The greying english professor had meetings to attend, but he trusted his senior literature class enough to let them get on with work. After handing out quizzes and leaving a pile of books on his desk, he swept out of the door, the class silent until the door clicked shut.

Natasha and Lia were seated in the middle of the class beside the windows, which gave Lia plentiful opportunities to daydream whilst watching the clouds. Luckily, she was an A+ student in english literature so her daydreaming didn't affect her work too much.

The students broke out into a gentle hum of noise, their conversations overlapping each other but not overwhelming the other kids that wanted to read. Nat was chatting away to Bucky and Loki who sat in front of them and so Lia slowly spaced out of the conversation to gaze out of the window.

From where she was sat, the large football field was looming in her eye line, the collection of trees and bleachers lining the edges. There was a public footpath that ran along one edge of the field, blocked off by gates so random people couldn't access school grounds, but there was rarely anyone walking there anyway.

The sky was crisp and clear for the start of November, the sun looking oddly inviting, masking the freezing temperatures that had descended over the last few days. Lia's sweatshirts had been paired with a large coat as the wind chilled her bones as she and Nat drove to school. But it wasn't quite gloves weather... yet.

The young girl watched the clouds for a few moments longer before a gentle tap on her arm caused her to turn her head back round to her friends. Nat was smiling softly, her hand behind her back, clearly hiding something. Bucky and Loki had turned back around to their desks and were working through the quiz together, referring to the books that were open on their desk.

"I have a surprise for you." The redhead said mysteriously, causing her girlfriend to raise an eyebrow.

"Well that explains the hand behind the back." Lia quipped, trying to peek around Nat's shoulder to see what her surprise. But the redhead turned her body so Lia couldn't see, smirking wickedly.

"If you stop trying to cheat, then maybe I'll give it to you." Lia huffed and slumped in her chair, her arms folding across her chest in protest. Nat had to resist the urge to pinch the brunette's cheeks as a pout formed across her lips. "You ready?"

As Nat's hand slowly emerged from behind her back, Lia's eyes went wide with wonder. A tiny origami flower sat in Nat's palm, its petals all neatly folded and perfectly symmetrical. Lia gently took it from her lover's hand and studied it closely, her mouth agape in amazement.

"Did you make this?" Avelia asked, turning the flower carefully to see the intricate details.

"Loki showed me how. They're an origami genius." It was true. Loki was always messing around with bits of paper, creating tiny masterpieces without even looking at their hands.

"It's beautiful Natty," Lia breathed. "I love it."
She placed the lotus flower on her desk and admired the way it sat so neatly, poised beside her pencil case and a worn out copy of 'A Little Princess.'