Chapter 50: Back To Her Roots

No way. I can't believe that we've hit 50 chapters! This is probably the slowest book ever, but I don't want to say goodbye to my girls!

Also, there might be a slight TW. Not of anything graphic, but just body issues and body checking. So if you're sensitive to that please be careful. Thank you

~~~

Saturday mornings were either complete chaos or a place of tranquility. And after a few weeks of madness, Melina was grateful for the quiet stillness at 8am. Her girls were still asleep of course; why would you choose to be awake before 9am on the weekend? She smiled to herself as she stood at the kitchen window, watching the mailman put the mail in the box before driving to the next house. Everything seemed so normal, and she often caught herself enjoying the mundane activities.

She sang to herself whilst she dusted, took extra care when she made the girls' beds on the weekends. She didn't do it everyday, but it was nice to do something so normal for her not-so-normal family.

The sky was almost cloudless, allowing the sun's rays to come streaming steadily through the gaps in the curtains, pools of light dancing across the wooden floor. It was the kind of day that look deceitfully warm, making you think you wouldn't need a coat or even a thick jumper. But it was barely February so the air was still very cold.

As she prepared a warm cooked breakfast for the rest of the family, Melina's mind was cast back to their past. She was never one to dwell in what had happened, but the drastic changes that they'd experienced made that quite difficult. She remembered Russia. She remembered how different her girls were. How different everything was...

~~~

Russia, 2015

The safe house was not build for the cold. Which was stupid, considering it was in Russia. But gaps in the stonework let the icy wind in, which would have bothered any normal person. But not 4 assassins. Not even a 5 year old, who had had very little training but learnt quickly that you weren't allowed to complain about the cold.

Melina stayed 'home' with the girls whilst Alexei left each day, trying to find passports and identities so they could finally leave the country. Yelena was easy enough as no one would question a 5 year old who looked as Russian as she did. But Natasha's flaming red hair drew attention that could be detrimental, especially if people were still looking for her.

That night, Alexei burst through the door, his boots bringing snow tumbling down onto the mat. He had a pile of documents in his hand that he chucked onto the table for Melina to look through as he removed his coat and hat. Natasha had been sat at the table, a notebook and pen beside her but she hadn't written anything. The pen spun around her fingertips similarly to how she used to fidget with her knives back at the Red Room.

"We need to dye her hair." Alexei sank down into the rickety wooden chair, gesturing to Natasha who glared at him. She wasn't fond of his obnoxious behaviour so she kept her distance.

She was a smart kid, and knew they were talking about her. Without he voice wavering, she said, "I want it blue."

"Natasha you can't have blue hair." Melina sighed, glancing at the fake passports, one with Yelena's picture on the front. Hiding red hair was hard enough, but blue was a whole different ball game. It might not match the description that people were looking for, but yet it didn't help them hide either.

"Then you won't dye it." Natasha snapped back. She wasn't going to cooperate lightly.

Melina looked back at her again. "We will or we won't leave." She hoped that this was enough of a threat, but Natasha didn't seem bothered. Her face was stoney, piercing green eyes boring into both of the adults.