Chapter 36: Make The Clock Reverse

hello you lovely lovely people. this is such a filler chapter, but it's cute :)

~~~

"I messed up."

"No. They're just still adjusting. And-"

"I never asked the boys how they felt. All I wanted was for Lia to be happy. I didn't even think about how they would feel about all of this. And now my children don't want to speak to each other and my daughter ran off to god knows where and my 8 year old boys act like 16 year olds and I just failed as a mother and now they're gonna ha-"

"Wanda, darling, this rambling isn't helping you or me. Judging by Avelia's patterns of behaviour, we can easily predict that she has gone to Natasha's. And if it makes you feel better, I could call Alexei or Melina if that would calm you down?" Surprisingly, Vision was being impressively comforting as his wife had a mini breakdown at the kitchen table, tears mixing with the leftover spaghetti and meatballs on her plate.

Wanda ran her hands over her face as she exhaled, her auburn hair getting tangled in her slender fingers. "She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you. It was just a shock."

"Tommy didn't talk to me on the way home either, so he probably hates me too. Billy is the only one I have left now and he's gonna follow his brother and then I'm going to end up being alone and-"

The doorbell chiming cut her off mid-sentence, sending a wave of relief through Vision's rigid android body. If he could physically feel emotions, one would see him slump down in his chair as he watched Wanda get up to answer.

Yelena stood outside of the door, bouncing on her heels and listening to the snow crunch under her boots, her breath puffing out in a little cloud as she exhaled. Her fingertips were frozen as she pressed the doorbell and she prayed for Wanda to hurry up. Grabbing a coat on her way out didn't exactly come to mind as she ran from home.

The door creaked open and Yelena was met with a slightly red faced Wanda who was surprised at the 12 year old on her doorstep. "I'm sorry to bother you Miss Maximoff, I just wanted to say that Lia is at ours and Nat is taking good care of her. Mama asked me to ask you if it was okay if she stayed the night? Judging by the grip Natty had on her waist, I'm not sure she's gonna let her go anytime soon."

Wanda was taken aback by the girl's rambling, but found it sweet nonetheless. She blinked a couple of times and then nodded. "Yes, yes of course. Is she okay?" She desperately wanted to see Lia but knew that her daughter would want space.

Yelena looked hesitantly back at her house before glancing at Wanda again. "She's um- well- Nat will make sure she's okay. I'm sure of it. She's kind of fiercely protective over Lia, so she's going to be fine."

Wanda's heart warmed at the story. She was glad Nat lived so close purely to pick up the pieces that she inevitably failed with when parenting.

"Okay thank you for letting me know. Can you just ask her to text me when she gets a chance?" The mother's desperation to check on her daughter was making her fidgety, and Yelena took note of this right away. Her fingers were linking and unlinking, so Yelena quickly said goodbye and then dashed across the lawns, trying not to slip on the ice that had formed on the pavements.

"Okay, I told her. She knows so no one needs to panic." Yelena announced as she burst through the door. She was met with Nat and Melina making tea in the kitchen, and noticing the lack of Lia, she immediately lowered her voice. "Wanda is itching to see Lia but I told her everything is okay. Where um... where is she?"

Nat glanced up the stairs before back to the mug of tea she was making. She didn't speak, but her actions showed her sister everything she needed.

"I- umm..." without any true reason, Lena rushed forwards and wrapped her arms around her sister. The whole events of the day, including the fight had made her realise just how lucky she was to have Nat as a sister. She didn't have to put up with some dickhead brother who didn't accept other people. Natasha was the most caring and warm hearted person she knew. Yes, she was tough on the outside and was known not to be messed with, but Nat had a huge heart, of which a large part was taken up by Lia.