Chapter 20: Breakfast At Tiffany's

Hello you beautiful, beautiful people <3

~~~

Nat woke about 30 minutes after Lia, the empty space that was usually occupied by her girlfriend feeling oddly empty. She could tell that her muscles were stiff after her nightmare, the horrors still fresh in her mind.

But she felt empty without Lia, so pushing herself up onto shaky legs, Nat set off to find her girlfriend, following the sound of the fair voices she could hear.

The kitchen was empty, but Natasha could hear Wanda's voice only a little way away, and as she heard the tap run she knew they were in the bathroom. As much as she didn't want to disturb the mother daughter moment, she craved a hug and Lia's touch. It was her safe place.

She appeared in the doorway and was met with Wanda's light auburn hair. Lia was sat on the edge of the bath, but Nat couldn't really see her. Luckily, Wanda sensed her presence and swivelled round, keeping her hand on Lia's neck.

The mother's expression was strained but she saw the sadness in Nat's eyes and so she quickly changed into a warm smile, inviting the redhead into the large family bathroom.

Lia quickly threw her hair in front of her shoulders, trying to hide her neck from Nat's eagle eyes. She rushed forwards and wrapped her arms around Nat's waist, pulling her into a tight hug. Lia squeezed harder as she felt the girl in her arms relax against her, her cheek pressing against Lia's brown hair.

"I'll leave you girls to it." Wanda commented, strategically taking the tub of Tiger Balm out of the bathroom. She had applied a generous amount to Lia's neck, but couldn't do much about the colouring of the bruise. She only hoped that Natasha wouldn't completely freak out when she saw it.

The girls stayed in the embrace, just feeling the moment for a bit. But as Lia pulled away, she reached up to place a kiss on Nat's cheek. Yes, it was a distraction technique and she prayed that it work.

But Natasha Romanoff wasn't dumb. She remembered everything from the early morning, including Lia's neck. The brunette had Nat's hoodie on but it still did nothing to hide the dark purple bruise that took up a big portion. Nat's hands automatically drifted up to pull the hoodie off so she could get a better look.

Her breathing picked up but she wasn't focussing on herself. She gently traced the skin, not missing the way Lia's breathe hitched as she crossed a certain area. Her cool fingertips felt soothing on the skin, but all Nat could feel was guilt.

Her green eyes fell away from Lia's neck and drifted up to meet her eyes but she couldn't hold the eye contact for long. She couldn't look into the innocent green pools that belonged to the girl that she loved.

The girl that she hurt.

Nat's hands quickly clasped together and were pulled behind her back, before she rushed from the room to collect her stuff. She needed time away and hoped Lia would understand.

But the brunette was having none of it. She raced after Nat, managing to sneak through the doorframe first so she could block her way.

"Move Avelia."

Lia looked shocked. "Oh so you're using my full name now? Nat."

The redhead didn't look up. "Lia please. I don't want to hurt you again."

"Baby, you're not gonna hurt me!" Lia's face fell as she watched Nat battle with herself once more. Yes, the redhead was slightly taller, but she felt herself shrink beneath Lia's gaze.