12

Small talks

DANIEL SOLENTINO

When I first walked into the apartment, I was struck by how quiet it was. I quietly checked our room, but Via was nowhere to be found. I knocked on the CR's door, but no one answered. Omorfia and Arketa were quietly napping within their massive cage when I arrived. Of course I sent Via a message that I'll visit the apartment as my permission.

"Siguro umalis." It was Via that I was alluding to. I sat on the sofa, my gaze fixed on the ceiling.
I'm sure she's disappointed in me since I'm like this. I examined the groceries I had purchased for her and our babies. Hoping she's doing well.

"Eight," I said after checking the wall clock. Omorfia and Arketa were both awake at this time, so I stayed and played with them for a while.

SFX: Omorfia barking*

"Ang talinis talaga ng boses mo noh?" I laughed and kissed her forehead. 

I sighed, "Is this how your mom feels whenever I go home late?" Something instantly stabbed me in the chest.
"Daddy's sorry for always being late." But, if she finds someone better than me, that would be amazing. . right?

"What'd you say if mommy Via finds someone better than daddy Sol? Hm?" 

Omorfia whined,

"Nah," I chuckled softly, 
"Just kidding. " That's not something she'd do. . She wouldn't do something like this to us. But if that's what makes her happy, I suppose I'll accept it. . I suppose.

As I brought out the new toys I bought for Omorfia and Arketa, "Here. . do you like this?" I expected Arketa to play with it, but all she did was stare at it.

I suddenly remembered what Via would always tell me,

"'Wag 'yan, hooon! Hindi 'yang paglalaruin ni Keta." Via uttered as she grabbed a better toy, "Mga ganito kasi gusto niyaaa! 'Yong mga mouse mouse." 

And she's right. My honey's right.Because, when we get home, pinaglalaruan nga talaga ni Arketa ang mga binili niya.

"Mommy Via knows you best, huh?" I smiled. 

My tears started to fall as I heard my phone rang. It was time for me to go. I looked at the clock, "Nine." I uttered. 
Nine o'clock, wala pa rin si Via.

I took a peek at the time. I stood up with a heavy chest and a strong want to cry. I missed her so much. Why does it feel like I'm standing all alone now? 

"Daddy needs to go, your grandpop's calling me." 

SFX: Omorfia whines*

"I'm sorry. . Daddy will make sure to always visit here maybe thrice a week." I wiped my tears before I kissed Omorfia and Arketa's forehead.

As I closed the door, our eyes met. 
"Y-you're home." 

"Buti naisipan mo pa'ng mag bisita." She had a beautiful smile on her face. Hindi niya nga lang matago ang eyebags. 

"Natutulog ka pa ba ng maayos?" 

She gave a gentle laugh, "Oo naman."

"Anong binili mo?" 

"Mga laruan nila Omorfia, Arketa. School materials, charger, midnight snacks, gano'n." While peeking inside the plastic bag, she responded.

"Late ka ba talaga umuuwi?" I realize it's a strange question, but she doesn't go out late at night. 

She sighed, "Minsan." She bit her lower lip and looked down.
"Kumusta ka naman?"

My phone rang again before I could respond to her question. "Ah, busy pa rin." Via answered her own question.
"Mauna ka na. Baka hinahanap ka na ng dad mo." She laughed softly, despite her discomfort.

"I'm so sorry." 

"It's okay. I get it." I know you get it, Via. Alam ko'ng naiintindihan mo ako, but I also do know that you're not okay. I know you're not fine with this. I wanted to talk to her more. . But my feet dragged me outside. 

***
My eyes widened in surprise as I realized Alexandra was my personal driver. "Where's kuya Mark?" Siya kasi 'yong driver ko kanina.

"Pinauwi ko na, kanina pa kasi 'yon pagod."
I chose to sit in the back seat rather than the front. 

Alexandra spoke up afterwards, saying, "Why not sleep at my house for a while? It's just near here." 

I declined her offer. Why would I? Kung matutulog nalang man pala ako sa ibang bahay, e di sa apartment nalang sana namin ni Via ako magpapahinga.

I've been having trouble understanding Alexandra lately. I'm not sure what she's trying to accomplish. She should act better than this if she wants a high income.

***

I tried to close my eyes as soon as I was lying in bed. Instead of sleeping, I began to cry.
Is it normal that I have so many regrets? I don't want Via to suffer in this situation. I don't want anyone to suffer as a result of my passions. I'm so sorry. 

I picked up the phone and dialed Via's number.
After numerous attempts to contact her, not one call sinagot man niya lang.

VIVERLEE ALTHEA

"Doc? Anong nangyari? Okay lang po ba siya?" I started to notice that my chest was getting tighter and tighter, hindi ko na iintindihan ang nararamdaman ko.
"Doc? 'Musta si Omorfia?" Sunod sunod kong pagkatanong.

"Ma'am, ma'am. . Please. . Please calm down." The veterenarian suggested.

Halos hindi ko na mapigilang umiyak sa nangyari, why's everything happening so fast?? Why's everything falling apart before me? I started to breath heavily, and my vision started to get so blurry. Hindi ko ba alam kung dahil ba 'yon sa mga luha ko baka talagang nahihilo na ako.

"Ma'am?? Can you still hear me?? Ma'am?!! Please. . . "