39| S P A I N

"I think you're beginning to hate meBut then you're a girl in dangerYou'd better watch out"

But then you're a girl in danger
You'd better watch out"

* * *

River's hair was flying about in the wind, she had left Belgium after only a few days and found herself in Spain on a beach soaking up the sun and praying that she wouldn't burn. Her head clearing and the worries disappeared to the back of it where she would hopefully not find them ever again.

She missed him.

Being apart from Bill was strange. She missed him but relished in her own company. In a crowd she didn't function properly too many people got in her space and it was as if she lost control over herself. She was in control once again.

The negative thoughts about her body and what she did with it slowly creeped away and she felt good about herself. Bill did that. Knowing that she had someone who cared for her, respected that she liked her own space, understood when she didn't feel comfortable, it kept her at peace.

They hadn't seen one another yet which she had hoped they would have done but wasn't complaining also. It would mean when they eventually do, it would feel even better.

In Spain a few men had tried to flirt with her or buy drinks but she refused. She wanted Bill and only Bill. No one realistically compared to him even those before were not him. He was different.

Christ she was falling hard. Shaking her head she sat up and stared out into the deep blue ocean. It looked refreshing. Not giving a care in the world she ran at it, people stared at her as if she was a maniac but she dove straight in. The water enveloped her, licking her body and collecting in droplets on her skin.

Breaking the surface she slicked her hair back and laughed. A family was near her and the mother watched in awe as River enjoyed herself.

"Mommy! She's like a mermaid!" The child, sporting a rich american accent exclaimed, "she's so pretty!"

"She is sweetheart and so are you."

"I wish to look like her when I'm older!"

River didn't hear anything otherwise she would have said something to the small girl. Instead, she was so invested in swimming, she kicked through the water and paddled to a deeper depth. She glanced back at the shore and there was a couple of people dressed in all black, watching with beady eyes. Families were pulling their children in close or packing up their stuff to leave.

Within minutes the beach was empty. River wasn't sure what to do. They were not coast guards. Should she head to shore or was it best to stay where she was? One raised their hand to their neck and spoke. It was so loud, as though they were talking through a megaphone.

"Young lady, it is within your best interest to come here."

It didn't sit right in her stomach. Her mam always told her that if her stomach felt funny then something was not right. She didn't move, she stayed floating where she was.

"Now!" The voice bellowed.

Kicking her feet, she swam further out. The men conversed and one jumped into the sea swimming rather quickly towards her. She braced herself and swam as though her life depended on it. It was no use. The man swam like lightning and grasped her ankle. The pair were sucked into a tight tube.

She wanted to throw up.

They landed and she keeled over, coughing and spluttering sea water spilling into the floor. She must have swallowed some when she screamed going into the tube. The floor was cold and the water dripped from her hair splashing onto the tiles.

"Is this her?" A deep voice asked.

"Looks like a Dawson don't she?" The man who was also wet spat back at the man, trying to ring his coat out.

The first man quipped back, "Oi, lose the attitude or your cock will be chopped off. You get me?"

"Sorry sir."

"That's what I thought. Now clear off and dry up. You to fuckface go with him," the man said to the other guy from the beach. The two padded off out of the room. River still hadn't looked up. She would be lying if she said she wasn't scared.

"Finished coughing up the sea? Could at least be nice and look at me, sweetcheeks."

River, who had pressing her hands against the floor glanced up through her soggy hair. The man above her was tall and skinny with dark ringlets framing his face. He looked like Sirius.

"Fuck you are beautiful," he breathed catching her eyes. "It's true then, Orla and Cillian had a baby girl too."

"Who are you?" River demanded.

"You owe me."

"Owe you? I don't know you!"

He barked with laughter- it was Sirius' laugh. "If I wasn't here you'd be chained up in the manor's basement. I've done you a favour. The names Regulus. Regulus Black."

"Black? Like Sirius."

He smirked. Oh it was an attractive smirk! Like one that would grate on you because you couldn't be angry at it.

"You've met my brother then? How is he?"

"He's funny."

"Sounds about right. Where's your wand?" River stared at him blankly. Regulus waited for an answer tapping his foot and whistling. He was so much like Sirius it was quite infuriating. "I don't have all day, sweetheart. Where is your wand?"

"I don't have one. I'm not like you guys."

Regulus shook his head, wandering over to the small desk that sat in the corner hiding. He pulled open one of the draws that squeaked like a rat on steroids and rifled through papers. He pulled out what looked like a scroll and unravelled it. It fell to the floor and it felt like a comedy sketch as he read through it trying to find what he was looking for.

"See that doesn't make sense. River Dawson is your name right?"

"Obviously."

"Oi, don't be sarky with me, gorgeous. I can still have you chained up in the manor basement."

"What manor basement?"

"I'll get to that point give me chance, woman! A few months ago I got hold of some records, I nicked them from Goyle who nicked them from fuck knows who. This has a list of every recipient of a Hogwarts letter. So basically anyone who has gone to Hogwarts. Your name is right here, next to Eros Dawson who I know is your brother. So you should have a wand."

"I'm not magic. I didn't get a letter. I didn't go to that stupid school!"

"Woah, woah calm down. I'm just stating what's written on the paper."

"Well it's wrong. I didn't even know about magic until a few months ago!"

Regulus scoffed, "are you for real?"

"No I'm pulling your leg. Of course I am. I'm sick and tired of magic already, I don't need you telling me that I should be magic. I'm not end of story."

"Well then, something has clearly gone wrong because it says here you are."

"It's a piece of paper! It can be wrong!"

"The paper never lies!"