02 | F O O D

"I've seen you twice, in a short time"

in a short time"

* * *

"What a pleasant surprise seeing you here."

Having given up searching for a hotel to stay in for at least that night, River found herself in a beautiful French restaurant which had a sentiment to the Battle of Waterloo and Napoleon. The waiters all clad in general outfits and ornaments in the shape and design of ships decorated the rich cream walls.

Underneath the table sat River's case as she pondered over the menu choosing to push her situation to the back of her mind. Maybe Lottie and Julia were somewhat right, she probably should have planned at least the first nights stay in advance but at the same time, when was River ever organised? Never would be the answer to that.

Peering up from her menu, a breadstick dangling between the tips of her fingers and her teeth, River was met with the same blue eyes and red hair as earlier that day. Only this time the man was not in just a dressing gown but now he was in some skinny jeans, a white shirt with three buttons at the top, with a brown (leather? River was not quite sure) jacket over the top.

"Come to try and speak French again? Or perhaps it's to call the police?" River flicked her right eyebrow up and down, a smirk curling the corner of her lips.

"Ha. Ha." The man replied, taking the seat opposite the young woman.

"Have a seat. Make yourself comfortable. I don't mind at all."

"Oh, I'll be going then—"

River reached out for the man's hand as she went to stand up. "I'm pulling your leg, sweetheart. You're more than welcome to join me. Maybe you can recommend something good or grace me with your knowledge on this language because I haven't a clue."

The man bit his lip, "actually, I only arrived here yesterday. I haven't actually eaten anything except for what the hotel offered and even then I did some ip-dip-doo and voila I got food." He scratched the back of his neck.

"Hmm... useful!" River scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Pool? What's pool?"

The man shrugged and glanced over to see what she was actually looking at, "poule. I believe that's chicken. Or so, that's what I got given last night."

"Right, chicken. I like chicken. You can't go wrong with chicken."

Wrong.

When her food arrived, River couldn't believe her eyes. Not only was it chicken. But it was served with snails on top and a bunch of red cabbage. She looked at in horror, picking at it with her fork as her company watched bemused tucking into his steak and chips.

"Just pick it off," he offered advice. "It's not like it's stuffed with them— oh, so it is."

River pulled apart the chicken breast to see more of the vile things inhabiting her food. She groaned and returned to nibbling on the breadsticks.

"At least eat the cabbage."

"I would but I don't like red cabbage. Any other cabbage and I love it. Can't get enough of it! But red, I would rather eat my own snot."

Swapping the plates the man tucked into River's dinner whilst, surprisingly, finding the snails rather enjoyable. River shook her head, "no. Don't do that. Have yours back!" She said, lifting the plate up and holding it out to him.

He shook his head, "nah, this is actually nice. You have that. Can't have you going hungry."

"But why? You don't know me and I don't know you so why would you just do that?"

"I'm Bill."

"I beg your pardon?"

"You said you don't know me, I'm Bill. Now you do. Now what name graces your beautiful self?" He asked, taking another bite of the chicken stuffed with snails.

"River."

"No, I asked for your name, not a type of waterway."

"And my name is River."

The man smiled, "cute," he winked her way. "Are you going to let your dinner get cold?" He nodded to the steak and chips that still sat idly in front of the woman.

"Thank you, Bill," she smiled.

"No problem, River," he mocked, "now eat up, I'm going to go on a walk around the park near the tower if you fancy it?"

"I'd like that."

"Then eat up so we can catch it as the sun sets!"

"Okay! Okay! I'm eating!" She cried, cutting into the steak and shoving a chunk into her mouth not caring how she looked in front of Bill.

"Good that."