16 | T O U R

"But I think I can see in your faceThere's a lot you can teach me"

There's a lot you can teach me"

* * *

From the top of the Empire State Building River gasped. The sun had just set and the dark sky cascaded over the city. In front of her stood hundreds of skyscrapers all glowing and lighting up the night like thousands of twinkling stars. Despite being such a busy city, the hustle and bustle seemed much more tranquil from the top. People looked like ants and the cars looked as if she could hide two or perhaps even more on the tip of her little finger!

"Look, honey, isn't it magical?" River turned to the side to see a young woman gush to who appeared to be her girlfriend.

"It is," replied the girlfriend, "let me get a photo of you." River smiled at the adoration in the two women's eyes and returned her gaze to the girls once more.

Imagine flying over it with the wind flowing through your hair, she thought and yearned to reach her hand out. She exhaled in awe and stepped back, returning to the elevator to go down to the bottom. As the doors began to close, a flash of red caught her eye. Focussing oh it she first believed it to be him, but when he turned around she couldn't have been more wrong! It wasn't Bill. Instead, it was an elderly man with warts littering his face and he had a chipped front tooth as well. Thanking God that she didn't shout out at him and made a fool of herself, River pressed her back to the cool wall of the elevator and closed her eyes as she felt it move down many floors of the building.

At the bottom River hurried out of the building as fast as she could; thoughts of Bill were not leaving her and as much as she adored the man, he wasn't there. And he would never be. It wasn't healthy to have him circling her thoughts all day, everyday. She barely knew him!

River looked at her watch, but had to look a second time because she failed to actually check the time. It was late and in a few hours time it would be Christmas Day. Her first Christmas alone. Even when she was at university she would have had spent Christmas at home with her family or, at least, her friends. It felt off to be alone but, at the same time, it was rather exciting! There was no arguing with her brother over what time they would wake up, no bickering over whether they would be getting presents for each other with Alexis and Lottie, and if they were, there was no debate over when they would be giving them to each other.

She wondered whether Bill was having a good Christmas Eve? Whether he was at home with his family? Or spending it with friends? Cursing herself for letting Bill worm his way back into her thoughts she pressed her cold hands to her reddened cheeks.

"Merry Christmas, River," she said quietly to herself, "merry Christmas."

* * *

Paris - Done.

Greece - Done.

Romania - Done.

New York - Done.

Rome - Done.

Venice - Done.

River looked down at her journal, she was on a train from Venice on her way to the airport. It was early February now and she couldn't wait to get on a plane to visit Egypt. Italy was phenomenal and the food along with the sighs were to die for. However, she grew tired of countless middle-aged men attempting to flirt with her and even the odd pensioner! She hoped that Egypt would not have those type of men as she really didn't want to have to politely decline anyone again. It grew tiring.

The trip didn't take long and arriving in Egypt was like a breath of fresh air, except this fresh air made her tired. The afternoon heat was beating down on her and she felt rather fatigued as she read over a map to search for the nearest hotel. Thankfully she didn't have to go far before she was checked in and was dropping off to sleep in no time.

The next morning she felt so much better and wide awake. By 10am she had already eaten, changed some money into the correct currency at the bank and brought, written and sent a postcard to Lottie and Alexis. Heading towards the pyramids she came across a sign for tours.

"Look, I'm just glad that I'm back in tours for today. Yesterday was manic I just want a break!" A man complained to his companion as they approached the small group consisting of River and an elderly couple and three young couples.

"To be honest, I prefer yesterday's work over tours but Nico insists I do some as a break because I've been travelling all over for months on end," his companion responded.

River kicked the dirt beneath her feet awkwardly as she waited for the two to break their own conversation. Immediately they did so and the first voice introduced himself.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, my name is Faulkner and this is Bill and we will be your tour guides for the day." River looked up upon hearing the second name and despite being hidden behind the group of couples, she could just see the tall, familiar redhead over one of the men's shoulders.
She bit the inside of her cheek softly as Faulkner continued to rabbit on about health and safety along with all manor of other things that River paid no mind to, keeping her eyes in her, now, dusty trainers. "I think that's all, so let's get on with the tour shall we?"

River followed on quietly behind the group listening in to what Faulkner was saying but she couldn't say she was very interested, he was like a walking talking non-fiction book. He was spouting so many facts that retaining any of the information just wasn't happening and made the tour rather boring. Well, the information aspect, the sights and inside of some of the tombs they went in were spectacular.

In a pyramid, River felt some warm air glaze over her neck and hands rest upon her waist. She nearly screamed. Ever so nearly but the touch in her waste ignited a spark within her stomach. "You look as if you're chewing a wasp."

River titled her head to look at Bill and she shrugged, "he's so monotone," she whispered to him.

Bill chuckled, "only on the tours. He's alright in any other situation. What about you sticking back here and I'll give you a better explanation?"

"I'm hardly going to be up his arse any time soon, darling." Bill smirked and forced her to stop and he watched as the group turned the corner without them. "Uh... what are you doing?"

"I've missed you," Bill admitted bringing a hand to her face and gently cupping her cheek with it.

"I can't deny that I have missed you either," she said softly, her eyes stuck to his like glue. "You won't leave my damn mind alone!"

"It's because I'm that irresistible," he joked.

"I won't deny that either," said River and she gently brought her face closer to his and pressed her chapped lips to his soft, smooth ones.  "Mmm, this is a way better tour than what it started out to be."

"Oh, love, we're only getting started..."