23 | C R A C K

"You'd better watch outI said you'd better watch out, watch outAnywhere you go I'll find you watch outI'll be staying close behind you"

I said you'd better watch out, watch out
Anywhere you go I'll find you watch out
I'll be staying close behind you"

* * *

"Oi, spud!" Eros shouted as he swung open River's bedroom door, the hallway light cascading in and dousing her, in the otherwise pitch black room. Her curtains were a blackening set which let no light in at any time of the day. "Spud! Wake up, you lazy bugger."

River groaned and pressed her pillow over her face, rolling onto her stomach but only groaned more and pushed herself up. She ignored her brother and pointed down at her breasts, "you two need to stop hindering me from laying on my stomach it's like my chest is caving in because of you two!"

"Well then, now I know of the issues my sister has because of her boob size. Anyway... I'm making a full English breakfast because mam instructed me to so do you what mushrooms or not? Mam and Da' can't remember whether you like them or not."

"Mushrooms are great, Eros, but next time just do it and wake me up when breakfast is actually done. If I don't like something I'll pick it off. I'm knackered!" She flopped on her back with a sigh. "Sorry, I- thank you for doing breakfast."

Eros chuckled and grasped a cushion from her desk chair, lobbing it at her as he exited the room. River let the cushion hit her but sighed at the door still wide open. So much for her getting back to sleep. Her and Alex were out late the night before, not in a club like most people would be, instead they went on a pub crawl because River was a little disoriented by the fact she felt so lost in her own home town, it had been a while and she wanted to re-familiarise herself with the area.

Like a slug, River dragged herself out of the bed, clumping the duvet up into a ball with no intention of making her bed as she pushed on her slippers and trudged from her bedroom into the bathroom to urinate. She then went downstairs where her parents were whispering in the living room and her brother was cooking in the kitchen.

"Why are they being all hush hush?"

Eros shrugged, "no idea, probably mam fussing over your homecoming, you know what she's like, spud."

She sighed, Eros was right. Mrs Dawson loved a fuss and no matter who it was she would go all out. Her grandmother was the same, still is, in fact. The whispers abruptly stopped when Eros called them for breakfast and the four sat down to eat as a family. It was silent, but not an uncomfortable silent, it was as if they were enjoying each other's company and the food to not need any conversation.

"Darling, we're going to be out for most of the day for work, this will more than likely be everyday and finishing times are very odd. We sometimes work late into the night so we hope you don't mind. We'd have loved to stay and catch up all day, we would have done so yesterday but we thought Alex would appreciate some time with you after such a long time without," Said Mrs Dawson as she patted her mouth clean with a serviette.