20 | F I G H T

"Somebody who loves you and somebody who caresIsn't that what you call a friend?"

Isn't that what you call a friend?"

* * *

"So... how was it?" Alexis cooed as River entered the hotel room, dropping her key card onto the desk and flopping onto the bed.

Lottie crawled over to her best friend and leaned over River's face. The blonde cooled back shyly and couldn't contain her blush. "Oh. My. God. Has our baby got a boyfriend!"

"One. I'm older than you. Both of you. And two. No. At least, I don't know. We didn't exactly discuss what we are but we spoke and we kissed and we kind of went on a date."

"That's it? That's it! Jesus, River, after all that you two have done so far and that's all that you guys did? BORING!" Alexis cried out and hit her in the face with a pillow.

River pushed her friend away and she shook her head. "I... I didn't want to do anything more."

"What?"

"I don't think I can ever do that again."

Alexis at first thought she was joking but River looked deadly serious. In fact, she looked ready to cry again. Sharing a look with Lottie, Alexis pulled River up and into her arms. "What did hunky McHunky say about it all? Did he want to, you know?"

"We got close, Lex, but I panicked. My heart was racing ten to the dozen and not in a good way. It was like that time I had a panic attack in the middle of the lecture during first year, do you remember? It felt like the walls were caving in and I could feel my lungs losing air. Bill, oh man, he was so understanding. I had told him everything so I think that might have been why. But I'm not sure whether it was that or not. He could have just remained silent about it to avoid hearing a ramble of shite."

"Riv, you shouldn't feel like this. You were living your life and experimenting. You weren't cheating-"

"It feels like I have."

"Well, you haven't. So, stop your dramatics because it won't get you anywhere."

"Lottie!"

"What? I'm just being honest! You're making it out to be worse than it is. You weren't se-"

"Finish that sentence add I'll have your guts for garters, young lady." Alexis pointed in Lottie's face with a stern glare. Even she didn't understand why Lottie all of a sudden was being so cold and snappish. It was so out of character, especially when it came to River. Out of the three, River was never the cause of arguments, she barely ever asked for help and she always solved the grapples between Lottie and Alexis. So why Lottie was being so rude was unknown to them?

"She's right-"

"No, River, she's not. Absolutely far from it. So she needs to shut her salty mouth before I give her something to be salty about."