17 | M A G I C

"I can see your face in all of my dreamsSmiling, laughing, from the shadows"

Smiling, laughing, from the shadows"

* * *

The tour dragged on for longer than both River and Bill wanted and despite Bill's best efforts to make it more enjoyable for her, he could slowly see her drifting off into her own thoughts with every word made by Faulkner.

Once the tour was finished, River expected Bill to leave with her but stupidly she forgot that it was actually his job and that he couldn't just leave. So instead, as Bill left with Faulkner, she left too but in the opposite direction. She kicked the dirt with her shoe as she walked, her head buzzing with thoughts and ideas of what she could do with Bill whilst in Egypt. But then, it grew full of confusion

How on earth did this man work in different countries so easily? First Paris. Then he randomly had time off to follow her to Greece. And now. Now he was working in Egypt. It had to be dodgy. Whatever he was doing couldn't be legal. Drugs.

Her mind went straight to drugs. Drug Dealer. How else would he get a job so easily in different countries? Drug dealing is a world-wide business and-

"Why'd you leave?" River jumped at the sound of his voice and sped up her pace. She would not be affiliated with a drug dealer, well, not anymore! "River?"

"Leave me alone!"

"Whoa! What did I do?" Bill asked her and grasped her hand bringing her to an abrupt halt.

"What is your profession?" She demanded. "I want the truth."

"I'm a tour guide."

"BULL SHIT!"

"River-"

"Don't lie to me, Bill! I don't want anything to do with drugs. So leave me alone."

"Drugs?" Bill guffawed, "I'm not doing anything to do with drugs! I promise you. I just can't tell you my real job."

"Why not?" She spat, swatting his hand off of her wrist. Her jaw clenched and her eyes narrowed to slits.

Bill couldn't deny that she looked intimidating. In fact, not just intimidating but rather scary. "I... uh... you won't believe anything I tell you."

"Try me."

He sucked in a breath and shook out his hands. "I'm a wizard and I work as a curse-breaker. I get to travel the world and retrieve artefacts and de-curse things for the Goblins who work in the official wizarding banks and the Ministry for magic."

It was River's turn to laugh loudly throwing her head back. She jumped up and down clapping her hands as Bill watched in confusion. "That's the best thing I've heard all day! How long have you had that plan figured out in your head? Because trust me, if I didn't have a brain I would believe that!"

"It's the truth, I... um... let me prove it." From his back pocket, Bill tugged out his wand and picked up a rock. He pointed the wand at it and muttered a simple spell which changed the rock into a beautiful Lillie.

River's mouth dropped as she stared at the flower in Bill's palm. Magic! It was real! How? What? Why couldn't she do that? Things began to fit into place. Bill being able to clean the farmhouse quickly! Him being able to get chocolate out of nowhere! It was all down to magic...

Bill waited patiently for her scream that he was a freak. For her to slap him and tell him to never speak to her again. But that never happened. Instead, she cracked a cunning smirk and folded her arms across her chest. "If you can use magic, why, in Paris did you not just unlock your hotel room door with magic?"

Bill's chest felt lighter and he shrugged, "I caught sight of a pretty woman downstairs, I couldn't waste that opportunity."

"Are you being serious?"

"Deadly."

River snickered and shook her head clutching her palms to her forehead. "This is so cool! I wish I was magic! I want to do all the wandy and spelly thingys! I want to be lazy and not have to get up to get things when I could use a spell to summon it instead!" She whined and stamped her foot like a child. "You're so lucky!"

"You don't think I'm a freak?"

"Oh, you are a freak. But not because you're a wizard," she laughed.

Bill shook his head in adoration as she wiggles her eyebrows. "Love, you're one of a kind you know."

"I'm not actually."

"What?"

"I have a twin." Bill was flabbergasted. Two Rivers? Holy Moly! He would not be able to deal with two of her. She's gorgeous but imagine two! His face must have portrayed his thoughts as she patted his chest, "calm down, darling, my twin has a peepee"

"Oh."

"Dang, you must have twisted thoughts! If he was actually a a girl would you have actually considered her?" River chewed her bottom lip and found herself wrapping her arms around her body naturally.

Bill cottoned on to this and shook his head, "of course not. Yes, it would have been strange seeing two of you because you are a literal beauty but I know you. I wouldn't know her. And even if she was real and I met her, I'm sure she'd have nothing on you. But just know I'm glad you're twin is a guy. Because I only want one of you." His took her arms in his to uncover her body, "you're beautiful, don't cover up because you think I'd look at other women because trust me, I haven't looked at anyone else since meeting you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Of course, you're so intoxicating I have wanted you by my side since we last saw each other."

"Oh."

"What's up?"

"I-uh-I-"

River broke off into a run shaking her head as she left Bill standing there perplexed and concerned. He hadn't looked else where when she had done so much more. She couldn't deal with the idea of Bill finding out and labelling her a slut. She was the one that would call herself that. Nobody else. But t was true.

"I'm a slut."