I Challenge Kunikida To A Bet

Osamu Dazai

It's late into the afternoon when Ranpo and Rei get back to the Agency office. Kunikida and I are the only ones still here – and I'm just about ready to fall asleep when they walk through the door.

Ranpo looks like Sayuri just hit his puppy with a speedboat – Upset and confused.

"I don't understand how I was wrong..." I hear him murmur.

"Don't beat yourself up about it," Sayuri responds as I look up.

I give a smile, "So? How was your first mission?" I sing, standing up to greet them.

Ranpo's eyes squeeze shut again, "I don't understand how I was wrong!" He shouts dramatically, "the door of detective work has closed in my face!"

I open my mouth to speak but Sayuri beats me to it, "When one door closes, open the door. That's how doors work, idiot. From what I hear, Ranpo, you're a genius. And you're also very stubborn. Don't give up on detective work just because I was right and you were wrong one time."

He sighs and walks off, murmuring, "I wonder if we have any gram crackers."

I look at Rei, "So... what happened?"

She shakes her head and shrugs, "Ranpo suspected the wrong person in a murder case – I ended up being correct... And well... That happened," she nods to the hall where Ranpo walked off down.

Kunikida looks up from his desk, over the rim of his glasses, "Ranpo was wrong?"

Sayuri nods.

"Huh, well... that's a first," I say.

"He's never been wrong before?"

"Not that I can remember..."

"Hey Kunikida?"

"What, Dazai?"

"How do you think Sayuri would react if I just... asked her out?"

"Straight out of the blue?" Kunikida glances over. "Dazai, you can't just be straightforward. You need an elaborate plan before you ask a question like that. You should account for everything, especially if she says no." It's late now – Everyone left work about an hour ago, but Kunikida and I stayed back to finish a few things. I'm staring out the window – The sun's already set, but the stars are as bright as ever tonight.

"Really?" I look over at him, "You really think she can refuse this face?"

Kunikida raises a brow, "Do you want me to answer that?"

I sigh, "No... But I think Rei can be bold-"

"Dazai," he stops me, shaking his head, "Rei is a trained assassin – She's built to be subtle, quiet, and sneaky. I doubt she likes bold people, and I doubt she's capable of being bold at all."

I look down, thinking. I should ask her sometime to get coffee with me... I mean, I think she likes coffee? Who doesn't?!

(A/N: I don't!)