I -Almost- Throw Ranpo Out A Window

Sayuri Rei

I can't move. I don't know what to do with myself. It's been a long time since I've seen these people... and these people saved my life.

At first, no one really moves, until I feel my body moving on its own. My knees half buckle, and I half stumble forward, hot tears falling down my numb face. Kunikida catches me in an awkward hug, partly trying to keep me standing. Ranpo gives my shoulder a squeeze, shooting me a warm smile. But Dazai stands still...

                          Like he's frozen.

                                                                                                             He's in shock.

I shift and regain my balance for a few moments, before lifting my eyes to him.

"Dazai?" My voice sounds scratchy.

I see his Adam's Apple bob in his throat as he swallows nervously. He shoves his hands in his  pockets to hide his nervousness... why is he uncomfortable?

           Was it my fault?

                                                               Did I upset him?

"Dazai..." I whisper, my voice now trembling.

He offers a tiny smile, "I'm... um... glad you're alright."

My eyes sting with new tears. Why does he seem upset? Was this my fault? I guess I'm just... good in making people unhappy.

Kunikida clears his throat, "let's um... get going. We'll get you settled in the apartments above the agency-"

"It will be safer if she stays with someone," Ranpo interjects. I notice him sparing Dazai a glance. He seems to shake himself from his trance.

"I- yes, yes it would be. We don't know who might be coming after you..." Dazai said. "I have a guest room in my apartment – I will um... I will set up a bed for you, Rei."

"N-no it's fine," I whisper, "I can defend-"

"No." Dazai says evenly, gaze sharpening as his brown eyes meet my green ones. "No, you'll stay with me where I can protect you. I can't loose you again."

A beat of silence passes before my eyes widen slightly at what he's just said, and his ears redden, but his face stays blank. "Let's go," Dazai says.

Dazai and Kunikida walk past me out the door to begin checking me out of the hospital. Ranpo lingers behind, smirking just a little.

"You two will be so cute together," the detective says to me.

I roll my eyes, but I can feel heat rising up the back of my neck.

"Aw! You do fancy him! I totally called it!"

"I- What? N-no!" I chuckle awkwardly, but my laugh fades, "Y'know what? Say something like that again and I swear to god I'm going to throw you out of that fucking window- What are you doing?"

Ranpo cranes his head out of said window, "Checking how long the drop is!"

"You're impossible."