I Go For A Freezing Cold Swim

Sayuri Rei

"Hello?"

"Rei? This is Kunikida."

"Oh... Hey Kunikida. What's going on?"

"We just got an emergency call-"

"At one o'clock in the morning?"

"An airplane of civilians was highjacked a few minutes ago and it's going to crash into one of the large office buildings downtown if we do nothing. You, me, Dazai, and Doctor Yosano have been put on the case. This is time sensitive, so please report to the Agency in ten minutes in your Agency-issued attire."

He hangs up and I roll out of bed with a groan. I walk across my room, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. My heart is already thundering and it's not only because just a couple of hours ago Dazai asked me to a coffee shop as a date and I just walked out on him... without responding...

I didn't think it was the right thing to do, for the record... I guess I just... panicked.

I go to my closet and pull my Agency-issued outfit from its case. Then I start to put it on. I can see it's been designed specifically for me and my abilities. My fingers are free, which means I can easily operate my pistol, and I have a mask to mostly cover my face. I tie my long hair back in a neat bun, pinning those pesky strands out of my face.

My heart drops as my mind dances back towards memories of Chuuya and Yuma...

I glance at myself in the mirror as I slip my boots on and those thoughts fade.

Because I look badass.

I pull my mask over my mouth and run across my white-furnished apartment

I pull my mask over my mouth and run across my white-furnished apartment. I holster my pistol in it's black leather holster, clipping the holster around my right thigh. I hurry out the door, making sure to lock it, and run down the stairs, burst out the main door and make my way to my car.

And exactly seven minutes and thirty-four seconds later, I'm standing outside the Agency building with Kunikida and Doctor Yosino. But Dazai is nowhere to be seen... Well, it's pitch black outside, but still...

Kunikida looks annoyed, but not at me. He checks his watch, muttering something under his breath.

"Nice outfit," Yosino winks at me. I nod a small thanks to her. "So um..." She glances at Kunikida, "Where's Dazai?"

"He should be here-"

A white van screeches to a halt on the road next to us and I jump.

Dazai rolls down the window. He notices me, and he waits a beat too long, before he starts speaking, "Well, what are we waiting for? Get in, we've got a city to save."