chapter nine

"Have you checked your applicants, brother? I left the files on your desk yesterday." Rindou asked as he walked inside Ran's office.

"I'm not participating. I don't need a mate." Ran replied. Eyes glued on the documents that he is reading.

"But enduring heat will cost half of your mana and recovering from it will take weeks." He sat on a wing chair close to his brother's desk and rested his forehead on his hand. "You're the commander of the crescent army, they will need your strength."

"I'm fine, Rindou."

"I'm just worried about you. It can be painful to endure the heat."

"I'm used to pain."

"Is it because of y/n?" Ran suddenly stopped reading upon hearing your name. He then looked at his brother. "Okay, let's say she has Ayame's soul. She still has Kazu's mark. having the seal of promise even in her second life means their connection and love with each other is too strong. History will repeat itself and you'll gonna end up hurting again."

"I know..." He paused and put down the documents. "Seeing her again... being able to touch her and even have a glimpse of her smiles is enough for me. I've accepted my defeat 500 years ago, Rin. I just want to make her happy in her second life." He paused and looked down for a moment. "And also to make up for what I did to Kazutora."

"You did what you think was right at that moment because if you didn't do that, the kingdom would suffer."

"Yeah." He said with a sad look on his face.

"y/n!" Emma walked towards you. She looks excited about something.

"yeah?" You said before you drink your water. The hibiscus wine that you drank a couple of days ago was too strong that your hangover lasted for days also, you couldn't recall anything that had happened. Emma just told you that Kazutora came to the tavern and took you.

I will not drink that wine ever again.

"Have you heard the news?"

"What news?" You said, tilting your head to the side.

"Kazu-sama has already chosen his mate and it's you, y/n. That's why I am here to prepare you." Emma said while clapping her two hands together like she was rooting for you.

You on the other hand, unconsciously spit the water. "What?! I thought you need to volunteer first to be chosen?"

"Oh, You don't remember? You volunteered!"

"What?!"

Come to think of it, I remember talking to two handmaidens about heat season. How the royals will choose their mates but I never recalled that I volunteered!

You smack the table so loud that everyone looked at you. Emma then mimics your voice. "Where do I sign? I want to volunteer!"

You held your chest upon hearing what you said when you were drunk. "I said that?"

"Yes, loud and clear. Then they made you sign a paper."

"Oh my..." The information made your head spin like you take a sip of that wine again.

Though, at the back of your mind, you felt... relief? it felt like a huge thorn was taken away from your heart. even I can't understand my own feelings.

"Since you were chosen, you need to prepare yourself! Three days from now is the rise of the blue moon. The moon foxes will feel the heat that needs to be released."