forty-four

"Good morning."

You blinked yourself awake, stretching out your leg. Expecting to see your bedroom window to your right, you were shocked to find your heels in view instead, resting neatly on your coffee table. Confused an wth a headache, you sat up, rubbing your eyes.

"Oh." Taehyung took a seat on the coffee table in front of you and you let out a long sigh. He reached out to tug your dress down your thighs has and you watched as his large hands did it.

"Are you feeling okay?" he asked quietly.

"I feel hungover?" You ran a hand through your hair. "I'm so tired."

"Me too," he whispered. The bags under his eyes were ever-present and they'd never been there before. His eyes were also so red that you were sure there was no way he could head into work. "I used your coffee machine-- I hope you didn't mind."

Shaking your head, you shuffled to the end of the couch. "Did you eat something?" you asked, trudging over to the kitchen. Taehyung followed you, shaking his head.

"You don't have to make me anything. I should get going anyway." You turned to him after glancing at the cup of coffee he'd made for you, the mug he'd used now cleanly washed and in the sink.

"Alright."

"Thanks for letting me stay, y/n." YOu nodded, heading to the door with his blazer draped over his arm. "I'll-- I'll get to work."

"Take a shower first." He nodded and you turned to check the time. "Can you get home in an hour and shower?"

"Yeah. I'll be late anyway." You nodded slowly and opened your front door to let him out. He headed to the doorway, pulling on his dress shoes. You watched him, staring at the top of his head as he crouched down. Crossing one leg over the front of the other, you watched as he stood up with a groan.

"Okay," you whispered.

"Okay." You nodded. "I'll get going."

"Yeah."

You stared at each other for a moment, both a mess. His bloodshot eyes were nothing compared to the mess of a birds nest that rested atop your head. And your ruffled up dress could be considered brand new to his wrinkled button-up.

Maintaining eye contact with you after only a few hours of sleep was difficult and his eyes began to droop closed the second you threw your arms around him. He fell into you, pressing you against the back of your door as he closed it.

And with his full body against yours in tiredness, you wrapped his arms around you tight, not letting go. "I thought I didn't need you," he whispered. "We don't need to be friends. We're fine."

"I know," you whispered back, into his neck. "We can't be friends."

"I know."

You pulled away from him slightly, looking up at him as he stared down. Arms still around each other, you stood staring, your back still pressed against your door, all his body weight on yours.

"I don't wanna go to work," he whispered.

"Then don't go."

-

"You're here!" you cheered, waking in. Taehyung turned to look at you and broke out into a grin.

"You look great!" he complimented.

What an understatement.

"Thank you." You curtseyed a little, feeling great to see him. His date wasn't in sight so you approached closer. "You look nice as well."