Mesopotamia

In the bleak silence of a young universe, a foreign shape emerged near the system's sun. Within the ship, eleven beings sat around a red statue of a being greater than they were. Each gazed listlessly forward, having just awoken.

"It is time," one spoke.

In perfect synchronization, the beings stood and exited the room. They entered a different room with strange swirling patterns on its walls. Each stood in front of one. A golden glow emanated from the wall, then gossamer like golden tendrils began to form over their bodies. Their clothes morphed into armor of a variety of colors: blues, greens, purples, white, and gold.

The young woman who wore now wore golden armor blinked a few times before taking a deep breath. Her eyes shifted around the room. The others moved around the open space taking time to explore themselves and each other. They were all curious as to who the others were that they were working with. Their leader, Ajak, stood watching them interact with a small smile.

Iridessa shrank back timidly as she watched the others speak to one another. She feared one would come up to her and she'd have to speak to them as well. Seeing the one dressed in gold was not even attempting to communicate with anyone, Ajak's smile slipped. They were a team and they needed to become familiar with one another. This one, however, seemed reluctant to do so.

As soon as she saw that they were all occupied, she slipped down a dark hallway. Ajak frowned and was about to follow her when she saw one of the others had noticed the girl's flight from the room. He paused in the doorway before pressing on and heading after her.

A shaky breath of relief left Iridessa's lips once she was alone. She ran a hand through her hair and blinked a few times in surprise at how silky her curls were. She hadn't expected her hand to slide right through. A small smile formed on her lips. She reached out and started to trace the faint circular patterns on the walls. She took comfort in the coolness of the stone.

"So you're the introvert of the group."

Gasping, she whirled around, her eyes wide with fear. She recognized the young man across from her as the person who had been directly across from her when they'd woken up. He had short black hair, a mischievous glint in his pale blue eyes, and worn a confident smirk. His armor was black with red accents, contrasting his pale skin in a way she found to be beautiful.

Everything about him seemed to contrast her. Her armor was golden with accents of white. Her skin was brown, her hair long and curly, her eyes dark as night. He was confident and calm; she felt like she might explode with nervous energy.

He smiled cheekily at her then swept a mock bow. "Hello."

She stepped back when he got too close. He saw her discomfort and his brow raised slightly. He stopped advancing toward her to see her reaction. She relaxed a little, a breath of relief leaving her lips.

"Hello," she finally responded, her voice soft.

His smile grew. "I'm Druig. And you are?"

"Iridessa," she answered.

He nodded. They lapsed into silence, remaining a considerable distance away as they observed one another. Druig had no intention of pursuing further conversation. He could read her mind after all. Unlike the others, her thoughts were soft and temperate. They were soothing to listen to. They mirrored her outer countenance perfectly. Everything about her seemed soothing and calm. He continued merely watching her as she slowly grew more comfortable with his presence.

Iridessa found herself unable to take her eyes off the young man. He seemed so strange yet so familiar to her. She leaned against the cool wall, her hands brushing its carvings for comfort once again. The longer they stood there, the more relaxed she became. Never once did Druig try to approach her and for that she was thankful. He turned his head slightly as if listening to something or rather, someone.