13

The group stood or sat around the alter in the center of the temple where Gilgamesh had laid Thena for the time being. A tense silence hung over them despite the destruction still occurring merely feet away in the city.

"I though Mahd Wy'ry was a myth," Sersi breathed as she gazed down at Thena.

"There is no cure," Phastos said, his voice strained with emotion as he stood still so Ajak could heal his side.

"That's why no one ever talks about it," Iridessa added, her eyes filled with tears.

She sat at Thena's feet, unable to stand for the time being under Ajak's orders. Thena gasped sitting up sharply causing Kingo to pull Sersi away protectively. Iridessa tensed but relaxed feeling an arm move around her waist. She glanced over her shoulder at Druig, but his eyes were on Thena still.

"Wh-what happened?" she stammered.

Ajak walked over slowly.

"You attacked everyone. You wounded Sersi, Phastos, and Makkari. You nearly killed Dessa," she told her.

Thena's eyes shifted to the girl at her feet immediately, an apology clear in them. Iridessa gave her a gentle smile to let her know that she was okay.

"I don't remember," she said slowly, her eyes beginning to fill with fear at the revelation, "I- I don't remember."

Ajak took her hand gently. "Thena, you have Mahd Wy'ry. Your mind is fracturing under the weight of your memories. There is no cure. All I can do is erase the memories so you can start over. I will have to inform Arishem and take you back to the ship. We have the technology there to help you."

"But..." the others turned as Makkari stepped forward, "She won't be Thena anymore."

Iridessa took Thena's hand, a soft look in her eyes. She then turned back to their leader.

"Ajak, you can't do this," she said shaking her head.

"She almost killed you, Dessa," Ikaris argued.

She frowned, "That does not give anyone the right to rip her life away from her. I'm still here. I'm still alive. And I wouldn't be half the woman I am today without Thena. We can't just give up our Thena. There has to be another way."

Thena shook her head, tears forming. "Please...I-I want to remember," she stammered, her fear only growing, "I want to remember my life."

Ajak shook her head. "Thena, I love you. But listen to me. It's not important if you remember or not. Your spirit will remain and so, you will still be Thena deep inside. Trust me."

"Why should she trust you?"

The group turned to Druig. He pushed off the wall, walking forward.

"You're asking her to let you erase who she is," he stated gesturing to Thena.

The others exchanged worried looks. No one had ever gone against Ajak, especially not so openly. Ajak's eyes softened as she faced the young man.

"Druig, I know you're upset but-"

"Upset?" he roared, his voice echoing throughout the room.

Ikaris stepped toward Ajak, his body tense as he prepared to defend her.

Druig continued, his voice raw with built up pain and emotion. "We trusted you for seven thousand years. Look at where it's gotten us! I've watched humans destroy each other when I could stop it all in a heartbeat. Do you know what that does to someone after centuries?"

He paused feeling a hand on his arm. Iridessa slipped her hand into his as her arm snaked around his bicep. He looked down at her with tears in his eyes. Her dark eyes reflected his pain back to him. He could still see the pain Greece had caused her. The pain Juliet had caused her. The pain the conquest happening all around them caused her. He knew she agreed with him. That she wanted this to end.