4

The people were hosting a grand party for the anniversary of the Eternals' arrival. Though it had been centuries, they still worshipped them almost like gods. Ajak had told the Eternals that they all had to attend because of this. Some like Kingo and Sersi were more than excited to get to interact with the humans in their festivities. Others like Thena and Phastos were less willing but did as they were told, choosing to remain on the fringes.

Makkari and Iridessa stayed near one another, the speedster having found a knack for helping the girl stay calm around so many people. The day was filled with parties that continued long into the night. At some point, Makkari had gotten distracted by Sprite and Gilgamesh, resulting in her and Iridessa getting separated. Iridessa found herself in the middle of the courtyard surrounded by people without a lifeline. Her eyes were wide as she tried to take up as little space as possible.

A hand grabbed hers and she relaxed instantly. She didn't have to look to know whose it was. Druig rubbed small circles along the back of her hand as a silent comfort. She accepted it fully, glancing to him briefly with a timid smile. He returned her timid smile with a confident smirk and led her through the crowds to a more clear area. She relaxed even more once they were away.

"You doing okay?" he murmured, his other hand moving to brush her hair back from her face a bit.

She nodded. Her eyes flickering to the crowds again. Druig caught her chin in his hand and made her turn back to him.

"We can take a break if you need to," he suggested.

"No, no, I'm okay," she breathed shaking her head. She smiled gratefully up at him, "I can do this."

He nodded, but didn't just let the idea go. He tried not to poke around in her mind to determine if she was lying to him or not, and instead, chose to trust her word. The two turned back to watch the party though they remained separate from it.

"She is growing," Ajak mused with a small smile.

Ikaris turned to see who she was referring to. He then spotted Druig and Iridessa off to the side. Sersi wandered over to them with several little girls trailing behind her. The children marveled at Druig and Iridessa. One was even so bold as to grab Iridessa's hand. She gasped but the child continued her hold. Her eyes went wide as she realized she hadn't burned her. Sersi smiled brightly, her excitement clear at the development. A smile formed on Iridessa's face instantly.

"She can control it," he breathed in awe.

"Not quite," Ajak chuckled, "Her fear was the problem. She's learning not to be afraid."

He nodded in understanding. Iridessa had allowed the little girl to pull her into a dance, now holding both of her hands. Laughter left the two girls as they swayed and jumped around. Sersi clapped laughing.

"Druig's been helping her with nightmares as well," Ikaris remarked.

Ajak's brow furrowed. "Nightmares?"

He nodded though the shock in her voice made him hesitate.

"Yes. She has them on nights when her anxiety grows to be too much for her to handle. Nearly burned down her room the other night. I think they started after that day she turned the Deviant to ash. But he knows how to soothe them," he continued.

While she was comforted that Druig was able to help Iridessa, Ajak was also extremely disturbed. Eternals are not supposed to have anxiety like that or nightmares. She had wondered for some time now if there was something wrong with Iridessa, but her doubts had begun to subside as she saw the girl become more confident. With every improvement Iridessa made, she could see the strength within her.