21

They waited. And waited. And then it happened: the golden strings of energy formed around each of them in their unique patterns. They each levitated into the air as the gold filaments connected to form the Uni-Mind once again. This time, however, Sersi was the one drawing their power.

A line of white flowed across Tiamut's body transforming gold to marble. The change spread quickly throughout all of the Celestial's body until finally, the light left its eyes and the emergence stopped. And just like that, it was all over. Complete silence fell over the whole area. Each of the Eternals lowered back to the ground, the gold fading away.

"She did it," Thena announced with a smile.

The others nodded smiling too. Sersi joined them soon after. Makkari rushed over and hugged her tightly.

"How did you do it?" Phastos breathed in amazement as they drove off.

"When I touched Tiamut's palm, I felt energy surge through me. Tiamut joined our Uni-Mind," Sersi explained.

She looked at her hands in disbelief. She still couldn't even process what had just happened.

"I always wondered how we survived the destruction of other planets we were on," Phastos mused, his excitement at this development clear, "By being connected to the Celestial as it emerged."

Sersi nodded with a small smile. She looked over at Thena who stood a few paces away from them. Her back was to them as she watched Iridessa who stood facing the setting sun which matched the still golden orange of her eyes. It was then that the others realized, she was literally glowing.

Makkari walked over and put a hand on Iridessa's shoulder. Iridessa put her hand over Makkari's, turning toward her. The two rested their heads together as silent tears glided down both of their cheeks. Makkari then pulled back, her eyes narrowed with confusion. She turned and looked around a moment before smiling. Iridessa turned too, confusion clear on her features.

Druig walked toward them slowly, limping with each step. Part of his face was scraped up but he looked otherwise fine. Iridessa gasped, her eyes going wide. He smiled as she rushed toward him. The two collided in a tight hug, tears streaming down Iridessa's face. He took her face in his hands, resting his forehead against hers lightly.

"I'm alright," he murmured smiling, "I'm alright."

Her hands moved to grip his wrists as she nodded and let out a weak laugh. She felt near dizzy with relief feeling him and seeing him.

"You're glowing," he hummed, playfully tugging one of her curls.

She rolled her eyes, but was unable to stop her smile. The two moved to join the others. Everyone's attention turned now to the smallest Eternal who was walking toward them slowly, a heartbroken look in her eyes.

"Is he gone?" she asked, her voice shaking with her tears.

Sersi nodded, struggling to hold back her own tears. She'd been the last one to see Ikaris before he'd flown out of the atmosphere. She had no idea where he'd gone. But she knew he wasn't coming back.

"Sprite...I have energy left from the Uni-mind. I think I can make you human," Sersi offered, "If that's what you want. You can have all the things you said you wanted, but your time will be fleeting and one day, you will die. Are you ready for that?"

The shorter girl nodded shakily. "Yes."

Sersi smiled softly at her and held out her hand. Her hand began to glow as her power moved to the surface. Slowly, Sprite reached out and put her hand in Sersi's. They all watched with tear filled gazes as Sprite's hand took on the glow and it slowly moved through her whole body. When it faded, she was human.