2

Years passed and the humans continued to progress slowly. With the addition of Iridessa's fire, they quickly found new ways to light their homes, keep warm, and prepare food. Though she enjoyed getting to share this advancement with them, she hated that she could not be around them. After the Makkari incident, Ajak had suggested that it would be best for her to stay on the Domo.

Some of the others like Makkari and Sprite tried to help her feel better about the situation. Sprite would come up with all sorts of elaborate illusions to entertain her and to show her what the humans were doing. Makkari took to bringing back little trinkets. Iridessa appreciated their attempts, but these things only made her more desperate to escape the ship. It didn't take long for Ajak to notice how restless the girl had become.

"She's gonna explode if you don't let her out soon," Druig remarked one day, making Ajak look at him.

He gestured to Iridessa. Like always, he could read her steady flow of thoughts. They were calm, but weighted with anxiety and sadness. Despite her placid expression, he knew she was hurting.

"She hates being cooped up, but she's not gonna say anything," he added.

She sighed and nodded. That was what she'd feared. She didn't know what was the best way to handle Iridessa, but she knew this current plan wasn't working.

"Perhaps," she suggested to Thena who looked over at her with a raised eyebrow, "Iridessa's talents can be used for more than we originally thought."

A calm smile formed on Thena's face.

"You want me to teach her to fight?" she guessed.

Ajak nodded. "At least it will give her something to do."

Thena nodded and went over to Iridessa. She was sitting in the window like she did most days, her eyes on the settlement despite the fact that she couldn't see far enough to make out what was happening.

"Iridessa, come with me," Thena said holding out her hand to the girl.

Iridessa looked at the hand almost like it was a serpent or something. She stood but didn't take it. Thena let her hand drop and turned to leave the ship. Iridessa followed, her curiosity piqued.

"Where're we going?" she asked.

"To the ground," Thena answered simply.

Iridessa paused, her eyes wide. She looked back over her shoulder at the room where Ajak still stood.

"But...I'm not supposed to leave the ship," she reminded her.

"Unless it is for training," Thena amended not stopping, "You may only leave when I accompany you to train you."

Iridessa continued to follow after her, confusion clear on her features, "Train me?"

"Yes."

"Yes, yes," Thena nodded watching as Iridessa glided through the motions.

Her movements were clear, precise, and steady. The glowing blade in her hand moved through the air with purpose. Her steps were settled and measured, her body gliding from one motion to the next with ease.

"Perfect," Thena nodded and she came to a stop facing the warrior goddess, "You're learning quickly. You will be one of the greatest warriors to ever exist. I am sure of it."

Iridessa smiled and offered a small bow in gratitude at the high praise. It had come after nearly a century of work. Thena was constantly challenging her to be better, stronger, faster. She was never satisfied because she knew that Iridessa could be equal to Ikaris in skill. All she needed was the right amount of motivation.