3

After two centuries, the humans were well on their way. Their communities grew and their settlements developed into small cities. Still the Eternals lived among them, teaching and protecting them. The morning began with a Deviant attack. Kingo and Ikaris teamed up as Makkari and Gilgamesh tackled the largest one. Thena strode toward the last one then glanced to her protégée. Iridessa raised an eyebrow in question.

"All yours," Thena nodded.

The girl nodded with a smile and faced the Deviant. It was shaped much like the animal humans called lions. Its muscular body rippled as it shook the tendrils of its mane. It roared and charged at her. She held her ground, unmoving. As it got within five feet of her, she threw up her hands causing a bright flashing light to burst in its face. The creature howled staggering to one side. Iridessa launched herself into the air, a shaft of light forming in her hand. It took on the shape of a spear as she landed on the creature's back and stabbed downward pinning it.

She leapt back down as it began to thrash unable to get away. Twin swords of light formed in her hands. She crossed the blades then ripped them in opposite direction decapitating the massive creature. Its head hit the group first, the body swaying for a moment before also hitting the ground with a thud.

Her light weapons faded away. She paused, her eyes scanning the creature for a moment. When it wasn't actively trying to kill someone, the creature was rather...beautiful. The green, purple, and blue hues of the tendrils that made up its body shimmered in the sunlight. She reached for slowly and placed her hand on its shoulder.

"Well done," Thena's voice broke her trance and she looked back at her.

She nodded with a slight smile. She then turned back to the beast and focused. Flames erupted from her palm tearing into the Deviant. Slowly it enveloped the body entirely, incinerating it in just a few seconds. Thena nodded approvingly putting a hand on her shoulder. Iridessa tensed at first, but relaxed when she realized Thena's hand was on her armor not. her skin.

They rejoined the others and Iridessa incinerated the other Deviant bodies so that only bones remained. The group returned to the main settlement where Ikaris gave Ajak a full report of what happened. She instructed the others to rest for the time being before calling Ikaris, Makkari, and Iridessa aside.

"Phastos has located another two Deviants out of here," she explained to the three, "I want you three to handle it as swiftly as possible."

She handed Ikaris a device that showed the exact location of the Deviants. They nodded and left together. Ikaris passed the device to Makkari and flew off. Makkari stared at it for a moment, memorizing the location before tucking the device away. She reached for Iridessa's hand but the girl flinched away.

"You need to trust yourself more," Makkari frowned.

"I don't want to hurt you," Iridessa argued, "What if I can't control it this time?"

Makkari sighed but conceded not wanting to waste time arguing. She grabbed Iridessa's forearm which she kept covered with fabric wraps. The world blurred around them as Makkari took off. They arrived on the scene just as the second Deviant tried to attack Ikaris' blindside while he was fighting the first one. Makkari shot forward and stopped abruptly causing a burst of air to hit the creature throwing it back.

Iridessa then leapt into action, knives forming in her hands. She threw them one at a time. More appeared in her hands as the Deviant staggered. She launched more and more into it until it collapsed and didn't get back up. Letting out a small breath, she walked over to it and reached out to burn it. Just as her hand touched its head, the Deviant jolted up snapping at her. She screamed as her hands snapped up automatically. But the pain never came. Her eyes opened slowly and she gasped.