15

After sending the children off to their homes for bed, Iridessa found herself walking with Sersi. Mateo trailed along behind them swinging a golden stick Sersi had given him moments ago. The little boy was completely absorbed in his task, fascinated by the strange object.

"I can't believe you two stayed together all this time," Sersi breathed looking around, "And this settlement...it's from that original group isn't it?"

Iridessa nodded, a proud smile on her face. "Generation after generation has lived in the Amazon, safe and thriving. While I can't say I fully agree with Druig using his mind control to keep the peace here, I know it helps. He was holding onto so much guilt from all the years we stood by and did doing. It's a miracle he didn't lose it sooner."

Her face fell as she remembered their first decade together. In that time, Druig had learned to be as open with her as she was with him. She understood his pain. She knew how long he'd suppressed it.

"There was so much...so much pain," she whispered shaking her head, "And in time, it got better. He began to understand that conflict helped the humans to evolve, even though it hurt. He got better, didn't need to control as much. I think we all got better. Ajak letting everyone go was the best thing she could have done for us."

Sersi nodded slowly. She didn't fully agree but she understood what Iridessa meant.

"I don't meant to pry, but...are you really still mad at Ikaris about what happened all those years ago?" she asked.

Iridessa's brow furrowed. "No. That would be an awful long time to hold a grudge."

Sersi relaxed, but she wasn't done.

"I'm angry that he had the nerve to seek me out and demand I leave Druig and my home," Iridessa snapped, her jaw clenching.

Her eyes flashed, taking on a brief glow before it quickly faded. Sersi's jaw dropped. He what?!

"I didn't just stay here. Neither did Druig. We did a lot of traveling. We needed to know what all the humans would need, ways to help them keep peace without the use of mind control, and to get medicines for things we could not naturally remedy. I visited Thena and Gilgamesh and Makkari too," she continued, "And every time, every damn time, he somehow found me and tried to get me to move in with you two. He apologized endlessly for that night and swore nothing would happen like it again. It was so aggravating.

He would always says such horrible and cruel things about Druig and try to convince me that I wasn't actually happy here. He wouldn't quit. A year after Mateo was born, I stopped going out. I'd just had enough of him and I refused to leave the camp anymore. And I haven't left since then."

Sersi remained silent as they walked. She couldn't believe it- no, she could. She knew how demanding Ikaris could be if he believed in something. She was about to say something else when her phone began to ring loudly. Iridessa chuckled as Sersi gave her an apologetic smile.

"Go on," Iridessa nodded then turned to Mateo, "After all, I have to get this one to bed."

He smiled showing off his tooth gap. Sersi nodded and walked off, answering her phone. Iridessa held out her hand and Mateo grabbed it still swinging his golden staff.

"I like her," he announced as they walked.

"You do?" she hummed looking down at him, "Well, she's your aunt. Her name is Sersi. She can change nonliving things just like she did your staff."

"Ser-see?" he repeated slowly.

She nodded.

"And who's the girl with the spiky hair?" he asked.