Chapter 4

" this messed up radio thing isn't working! Why won't you work!?" Cole angrily groans as he slams the poor thing onto the ground.
" don't do that! I don't want to get caught now!" Seliel whispers harshly at him, quickly looking down through the went to see if there was anyone down in the hallway that might have heard them. So far, it seemed clear.
" I'm tired of hiding up here! It's dusty and dark! And I kinda don't like the evil vibe perfume they're using around here." Cole complains as he gets the clear signal.
" those people down there don't care about your opinion, and what perfume?"

" you know, the perfume they use to give themselves the extra evil spark to themselves." Cole mumbled, kinda realizing how stupid it sounded.
" you honestly start to sound like Kai" Seliel spoke, shaking her head.
" don't you dare compare us. I'm way more awesome." Cole replies.
" really? Is this a guy thing, or just you two?"
" what you mean by that? Girls don't do this either?"
Seliel shake's her head. Boys... and she just happened to be trapped in a ventilation system with one. Fun. Not.
" I guess not" Cole replies, taking her silence as an answer. For almost two days, they had been trapped up in these vents, hiding from the flow of guards that constantly passed through, giving them no chance to move location or return to the team, and that not being all, this girl, who he didn't know that well, had to be around him, constantly complaining about how weird guys were. What's so wrong with having fun in your life? Does she even know what fun is?
" guards!" Seliel hissed, signing to Cole to be quiet. He slowly moved over to her side as he too wanted to look down through the vent to see. You never know, maybe the guards carry anything or say anything that would help them out.
Loud steps came closer and closer, and they both could already tell by the sound of them, that they were many.
" can't be a regular patrol, right?" Cole bent his head to whisper close to her ear. Seliel gave him a slow nod as a reply, knowing that this was something different. Perhaps... visitors? She wasn't sure, and neither was Cole. In this case, it being a good thing was low chance.
The steps got louder and louder, and as soon as they had arrived, both of them held their breath in fear of being heard. The sight of them terrified them, but what caught Seliel's attention was him...
Her eyes widened at the sight of him. Even after a year, his appearance hadn't changed much at all. He still had the same hair, the same look, everything about him seemed like it was Brine himself walking down there as if nothing had changed. But  everything had changed... the only thing that was different was his eyes. They were cold and lifeless. His bright blue eyes were grey, as if all color had been sucked out of them. Seliel covers her mouth at the sight of him. Even tho he looked like his old him, his soul was not there....

" go! Get out of here! Run!"

He had yelled those words last time she had seen him. In the tomb of fire, only hours before he was sacrificed to the dark lord as his new vessel.
She remembered how he had saved her life, how he had done nothing but to make sure she was safe that day... and she couldn't do the same for him. Now, he was possessed  by the dark lord, and for what she knew, he was no longer alive...
Seliel fought hard to keep back the tears as memories passed through her mind. They hadn't known each other for that long, but her, skylor, Brine and Kai had been a team. Yeah maybe they had been forced to work together and hurt people, but they had been in it together, suffering together and getting out of it together.. even though it had been bad, that had good moments too. He was dare to her, and she knew Kai and Skylor would agree.

Seconds later, he was out of her sight. Gone from her eyes and her knowing if he was alright or not. Up until now she had wondered if he was still alive or buried underground, and now she didn't know what his future would hold... but for a brief second, he looked alright.

" Seliel, you alright?" Cole gently shook her shoulder as she had been staring down through the vent without saying anything. Even long after the passing of the league leaders and its security. Seliel slowly wiped her tears as she took a deep breath, calming down.
" yeah... he was there." She mumbled.
" yeah... he was." Cole mumbled in reply. He didn't know where to place this guy. Last time they had met, he and Brine had an intense battle, both having their blast at one another. Cole even still have a scar after their battle, he wasn't too happy about that.
" wait, since they're here! That means all security is busy protecting the dark lord!" Cole suddenly burst out as he realizes.
Seliel didn't say anything.
" Sel! This is our chance to get our! Yes! This is perfect!" Cole pulls open the vent frame and carefully jumps down into the hallway underneath.
" jump! I will catch you!" He whispers up to her and Seliel hesitate.
" scared of heights?" Cole grins up at her. She angrily looks down at him and leaps. No way she was showing him any of her weaknesses! Even tho... she was. A squeak left her as she jumped. Cole catches her as she comes flying down.
" got ya" he grins at her. Seliel frowns her eyes and pushes herself off him.
" you got nothing " she angry snaps at him, but calmed down. They didn't have time for this right now.
" okay let's go!" Cole starts walking in the opposite direction but stopped as soon as he noticed Seliel not following.
" okay... I'm sorry for being all a jerk... please let go." He turns to face her. He truly didn't mean to hurt her. Had he gone to far with his joke..?
Seliel didn't reply. Slowly she turns in the direction of where Brine had gone. Cole slowly realizes.
" Sel... please no. We shouldn't. You can't do much to help him.. the only thing you can do to do so is leaving this place." Cole calmly speaks, really not wanting her to go after him.
" his eyes were different..." she whispered. She really wanted to go in there, after him.
" Sel... please" Cole begged. He slowly tried to take some steps towards her, but stopped as soon as he realized it may trigger her hunt after Brine.
" they were so cold... so gray and dark.."
" listen. If you go after him now, you will get yourself killed. All those guards were there to prevent anything from hurting him. You will be dead in seconds." He took some more slow steps towards her.
Then he noticed them. Tears, rolling down her soft cheeks.
" damn Sel, is he really that... is he really that important to you?" Cole very gently takes hold of her hand. Making sure she wouldn't dash of after him. Seliel didn't reply and quickly wipes her tears away again.
" let's get out"

A/n
I'm sorry it took some time for this chapter to get out, but as many others, I got school to blame and as soon as my exams are over, you will get more frequent updates 😂😉
And thank you to all of you for still keeping up with this story! You're amazing!!!