Chapter 19

It wasn't easy to keep track of time and Brine had no way of figuring it out , but he had spent quite the amount of time onto someone's shoulders as if he was a bag of potatoes. It hadn't been a pleasant ride, but more of his own strength had returned.
" those idiots really have no brain cells of their own." Judging by the voice, a man spoke.

" if they had used the ninja nindroid efficiency, they would have known that that underground castle doesn't contain enough crystals to construct that portal of theirs" The new voice sounded different.
Female, but not sure if it's human. Brine slightly tried to itch the blindfold off with his shoulder, quickly finding out that is a hopeless attempt when you're barely able to move your arms from being tied up.
" I don't think that's even the right sort." The guy replies.
" it's hard to spot the difference between them all, but I get your point" She replies.

" when will your master be around? I did my job and I want my share of the payment" Brine sharpened his ears, paying attention to every word that comes out of them. They didn't seem to try and withhold information from him. Where they just amateurs at these kinds of jobs or did they just not think?
But the talk of a portal didn't sound good. Was that what the league was working on? A portal to where...?
There was only one place he could imagine the dark lord wanting to open. Here in the over world, the dark lord needed a vessel, him, to move around and make his dark plans come to life, and if Brine was to die... then he would once again be trapped down there. But building a portal to the underworld would change that if his true form could walk the lands instead.
Not good...
" no one messes with Ronin when it comes to money" a third voice enters the conversation, and a pair of footsteps walks in. Brine slightly turns his head in the direction of the newcomer. When a hand slightly strokes his hair, Brine realize the guy had walked up to him and not them. Chills run through his body at this weird encounter, but he doesn't budge. Whoever this guy was, he had a bad feeling about him.
" The crystals at the castle are dark crystals, they are somewhat efficient in powering a gateway. Unlucky for them, those are used for portals leading into the underworld. We are aiming for the realms."
His fingers trickles through his hair, slowly turning into a strict grip. Brines head was yanked up, a groan of pain escaping him.

" that's what we need this kid for"

What?
What did he just say?
What did he mean by that? Needing him for what exactly?
" why? Does the dark lord give this kid any special powers or something?" Ronin spoke, not seeing how this kid is worth anything.
" if you only knew what this kid is capable of. If he himself only knew. He's so much more than just a vessel, and the dark lord knows that." The guy lighten his grip on Brine's hair, but doesn't let go.
Realm's? Brine thought to himself. He had never heard of it or what they where.

" wait." The female voice spoke.
" Realms, you mentioned realms. What are you getting at?" Brine noticed the fear in her voice.
" someone's paying attention." A chuckle came from the third guy.
Whatever this was, It wasn't good. Brine did not like the sound of it, nor that he seems to be a part of it. Why was he always getting into the wrong kind of trouble...? Why couldn't he just be living in peace up in the mountains with the small village? Life had been peaceful, they had accepted him as one of them. He should be removing snow from peoples doorsteps... not be thosed around like a bag of potatoes, for anyone to use as they liked. He didn't like that! He never wanted to be someone special. Special sucks. And why was he special!? He wasn't! The truth was, he wasn't anywhere close to being special. Nothing he did was remarkable. He didn't have any cool ninja power, no, he was a normal guy who just happened to be snatched up by the league of shadows as a very young kid.
He was tired of not having control over his own life.

" it's true. It's all true." The guy replies.
" those were just fairytales, stories for young kids. Not real worlds." The feminine voice replies.
" except they are" the hand finally let go of his hair and steps could be heard again. This time. By what Brine could hear, he walked over to them.
" how..?"
" I will show you. But for now, I need to seal the boys eyes and ears. We don't want the dark lord to watch and listen through him.
What now? Brine slightly shivered at the thought of the dark lord looking through his eyes or listen through his ears. But what good would sealing that part away do if the dark lord could just come back from the underworld?
" seal? Like magic thingy?" Ronin sounded confused. The thought of magic made him feel uneasy. That kind of thing sure wasn't natural as he thought best to stay away from it.

Ronin turned his gaze towards Pixal who like him, felt uneasy around this guy. He gazed over at the boy. By the look of him, he didn't seem dangerous. Skinny arms and a slim stature, he didn't look like someone who could keep up in a hand to hand combat. Him? The dark lord? Hard to believe...
" how about... we just cover his eyes and ears? No need for magic" Pixal came with the suggestion.
Very quietly, Brine got to work on the ropes around his hands. While the others were busy talking, he took use of the time to get them off. There wasn't much he liked about the league, but they had thought them well when it came to all kinds of skills. Freeing oneself from ropes and chains was one of them. In the matter of seconds, he felt the rope loses around his wrists. He didn't take them off. Before he could do that , he needed to know the location he was at. Plan an escape before taking action. He had to be quick.
Without making any sound, he tilted his head towards his shoulder, and used it to slightly push up the end of the blindfold, granting him a slight glimpse of sight. It was had to see properly, but he managed to map out the room. By the look of it, they weren't in the city anymore. Really tho? How could he tell for sure? All he had to judge it by are the walls of the apartment.
His captors were too busy talking to notice his blindfold slowly coming off. Didn't take long until the ropes did so as well. What he saw wasn't much, but there was a window and a door. Both good escape options. But he had only one chance. The moment he moved, his captors would take action and if the door happened to be locked, then trying for the window would be too late. One shot. That's what he got...