Chapter 22

" I think we're lost" Jay mumbled out aloud.
" no we're not! It's this way!" Kai pushed aside a large box like object, finding his way through a hallway of junk.
These underground tunnels were unbelievably messy, and who on this entire world would drop off their junk down here?
" Kai, let's take a minute, this isn't working." Jay reached out for Kai's arm and pulled him back.
" Jay! What if the exit is straight ahead!?" Kai complained, but Jay only shook his head.
" let's take a small break, try using logic to get out of here."
" you mental!? If we don't keep going, we're going to rot down here! I need to get out now!" Kai tried pushing away Jays hand, but he held onto him firmly.
" look" Jay point at the hallway of mess. Kai glances. " an ocean of junk, so?" He replied, not seeing anything significant with it.
" we've been down here for hours and most hallways we've been through haven't been a junkyard like this "He spoke.
" Says the kid who grew up in one" Kai mumbles. Jay's grip on him tighten.
" dude" Jay narrow his eyes at him, not finding this funny. He once more points towards the pile of junk.
" all this must have come from a house. No one would walk for hours to drop off their junk down here" Jay tells him.
" which means..." with a strange urge to look up, Kai's eyes move up to the sealing and there, in the darkness of this room, he sees a small metal passage. A door!
" Oh... dude I thought you didn't have brain cells up there!" Kai blurred out, freezing his arm from Jay, running over to the door. He grabbed a box from the junk and placed it underneath himself. Kai, with both hands preform a hand sign and without a word, makes a move at the door.
It pained Jay to see Kai's face drop in disappointment as no fire came. No sign of it at all.
" hey, let me do it." Jay then jumps onto the box and studies the sealed door. After a quick look, he found what supposedly would be the switch and reaches out for it and pulls. As expected, it was an old door, and the handle was stuck. He had hoped to avoid using lightning in front of Kai, not wanting to remind him of how powerless he was, but as thing are right now, getting out of here was perhaps a bit more important. " maybe back off a bit..." He mumble's, waiting until Kai steps back a bit before unleashing his lightning onto the door. With a loud burst, the door is completely destroyed by the force of power coming from jay. On his tip toes, Jay slightly peeks through the hole to see for any signs of life coming from above.

" I will give you a hand" Kai offers, walking up to him to help him get up. With Kai's help, Jay climbs up through the hole and screeches out a hand for Kai to join him. " no one up there?" Kai asks as he accepts the hand. " This place seems abounded, full of dust and everything" Jay replies. The moment Kai was through, he could smell it. " It smelled like an old grandma house"

" yeah, yeah, lets get going" Jay pinches his nose at the cloud of dust that arose from the action of Kai getting up. One thing was certain, they were out of that dark underground tunnel. " where are we?" Both turned their gazes to study the place. Could this be one of the abandoned apartments in the city? if so, no one had lived in here for ages. " this place gives me the chilies" Kai spoke. " This place does!? The undergrounds were way worse than this!" Jay disagreed. He rolled his eyes at the grin on Kai's face. He knew tight dark spaces was a fear of his.
" now that we're out, how do we get in touch with sensei Wu and the others? I bet they're worried about us after losing contact." Kai brushed the dust off his pants as he spoke. " things are a mess... it would be best to return and lay a new plan." Jay replied.
" wait..." Something got his attention, and a sense of fear rose up in him.
" there's no windows.."
"What?" Kai who was busy with his pants lifts his head, and to his surprise, Jay was right. " what kind of house doesn't have windows?" He spoke. Both stands there in silence. " an underground house..." Jay mumbled. " basement" Kai replies.
" this isn't a basement. I haven't seen basements that doesn't lead up to the first floor of a house. No stairs leading up." Jay mumbles, not liking this at all. " no there's a door right there, I bet it leads upstairs." Kai walked over and opened the door, only to face a long hallway made out of dirt and stone. " oh... yeah this sucks." Even though the room heavily smelled of dust, Jay realized that the strong sent of wet dirt was just as strong. This place seemed more and more like a bad dream. It would be nice to wake up and find himself in a warm bed, woken up by his girlfriend and told you get his lazy ass up. He would do anything for it.
" either we could go back down into the catacombs or we could go this way, I will let you choose." Kai spoke. Jay gritted his teeth at this. Both options were nothing good, but heading deeper down was worse, so the choice was clear. Without a reply, Jay made his way towards the door and the dirt path, heading into the hallway before Kai could.
" this way it is then" Kai spoke and followed in after him. He just hoped they wouldn't encounter anything dangerous in there. After all, they had a track record of bumping into danger whenever they were underground. It's like the underground's were crowded with evil. The league was based underground...

Brine jolted awake at a sharp feeling in his chest, forcing him to gasp for air. It took him a moment to gather himself, but he noticed something was wrong right away. A firm hand grabs his arm and forces him up on his feet, even more confirming his suspicions. His head was still spinning from the loud sound from earlier, and he felt drumming in his ears, but no sound... nothing at all. His hearing was completely gone, and this terrified him. His legs felt like jelly at the realization of having lost his hearing, the one thing that truly helped him keeping control of his surrounding. Being deft feels like being trapped in your own head, and your body feels like a prison. Nothing felt like it should, and his balance was off. Forming words was impossible... was hearing this important for the function of his body? Slowly he lifted his free hand to study it. Moving it was strange as it was almost like his mind wasn't completely sure where to place it, where to stop...
His eyes then turned to whoever was holding onto him, and he now saw the metal lady from earlier. Her expression was slightly worried, and Brine felt his legs lose strength. Her grip onto him was the only thing keeping him up. He felt his way to his ears with his hand and felt something thick and try come out of them. Turning to look at his hand, he saw flakes of dry blood. " what the!" He burst out, but unable to hear himself, the words came out muffled and weird, sounding more like a groan.

" what did you do to him!" Pixal shouts out at Clouse who didn't badger glancing over at her. " I told you earlier, the dark lord must not get any information out of him, his ears and eyes will give him information, we can't have that." He replied.
" you raptured his ear drums! This may be permanent damage!" She was angry. Yes she was against the dark lord sabotaging their mission, and this boy was his vessel, his bridge to the over world, but this was inhumane. " things would be different if he hadn't ran off. This is his own fault." Clouse replied. He then pulled out a bag filled with money and handed them over to Ronin who gladly accepted. " pleasure doing business with you" he greeted by lifting his hat.

" now look at that... I'm gone for a moment and you've already gotten yourself into trouble" Brine jumped at the sudden interference of a voice. He studied the room for the source of the room, but noticed that the people were moving their mouths without words coming out. No, this wasn't from his surroundings, this was Him... Brine tried speaking out loud again, but it was impossible to form words when he couldn't her them.
" clever... I didn't think he had it in him. My young apprentice sure can pull some tricks. Interesting" Brine shook his head, wanting to shake the voice of, but it was stuck with him. The dark lord chuckled at his attempt.
" pathetic child"
" Shut up!" Brine replies, this time speaking in his mind. This was somewhat of  a relief, they had may have taken his ability to speak, but not his voice.
" get lost! Get out!" He shook his head again and the grip on his arm tighten. He groans in pain, grabbing Pixar's hand, trying to stop the pain. She slackened a bit as she understood that this was a bit too much. He felt very disabled.
" very clever indeed, I'm excited to see where this is going" Brine wasn't sure what to make of that, but his eyes met the woman's. He noticed the compassion in them, and it reminded him of her...
" what's going on?" Brine spoke in his mind, waiting for the dark lord to reply. He wasn't taking control of him, like he normally would, and did this mean he didn't have the power too or simply didn't want to?
No reply came, and Brine noticed his absence.
Of course he wasn't going to give him an answer. He wasn't worthy of it. Never had.
It wasn't often he would get emotional, but now, he really struggled to keep them back. He felt useless.

He was useless.