Chapter 3: Stairwell

Yesterday, after we went on a live band, we had a conversation;

"What made you talk to me?" I said.

"You seem to be approachable so I decided to befriends with you." He replied.

"Is that it?" His words was untrustworthy.

"Who knows? I never thought I wanted to be friends with you."

The first day we encountered, he was grumpy. I didn't expect for him to approach me first and be friends with me.

It was a kind of relief.

A whistle was blown as I wore my PE uniform. It was time for the sports I joined, the girls basketball.  I love joining activities at school especially arts and sports.

I tied my hair pony, then boost my strength on playing.

"Maechi! Pass the ball faster!" A sweat fell on my chin. The coach was rough as our competition was near.

My coach had faith in me as I was tallest and talented. But deep inside, I am scared to ruin everybody's expectations.

"MAECHI! FOCUS!" Coach shouted at me as I was spaced out. He suddenly whistled and walked closely to me and said, "How are we gonna win if you won't focus Sim Maechi?"

I looked at him in the eyes and my my body started to shiver.

His eyes was serious and he look so mad and disappointed at the same time.

"Yes coach, I will do my best!" I tried to boost myself.

I was out of breath as we practiced half of the day for our competition. Huffing while sitting on the ground, leg straight, with arms support leaning backwards.

"I cant breath Yangjin..." it was hard to breath as if my lungs where about to close.

"Drink this water Maechi! Don't joke on me." Yangjin passed me the water bottle while patting my back.

"Don't be too harsh on yourself Maechi." Yangjin carried my stuffs and guid me to the changing room. "Thanks Yangjin, you always have my back."

I told Yangjin to go home first, and don't wait for me as I was going to change in the locker room.

I was on my way to the stairwell, when I first step my feet on the very first stair, a guitar suddenly tuned as it echo around the place.

I was kinda interested to hear what the person was about to play so I sat on the stair where I landed me feet earlier.

Finally, after awhile, it suddenly played a song. It was an acapella of an unfamiliar song like he made it himself.

Did he made that himself? I slowly stand up and sneakingly walk down the stairs.

He started to sing as his voice was angelic and wonderful. I finally reached a floor where there's one more round until I'll reach the bottom.

I stopped when he was in front of me sitting from one of the stairs wearing his blue hoodie.

Is that Heeseung? I don't know why but I suddenly recognize him. My mind wanted to start a prank and I slowly walk towards its back and jumped for it.

"BOO!" I thought we where safe but suddenly lose his balance when a motion started to pull us down.

"WOAH-" He used his strength to stop that moment but I was heavy.

"WOAHH!" We fell facing the ground.

"What is wrong with you lady?" A frustration upon his face was made.

"It was supposed to be a prank." I was in the middle of choosing between laughing or pitying.

"We got in an accident stupid!" He scolded me.

"Sorry..." I faced down as I was ashamed of how I acted like an elementary student.

"Oh no- my... my guitar!" He looked around finding his guitar on his right. "Phew- glad it's fine." He suddenly turned his head to me then gave me a look of don't ever do that again or else-

"My apologies" I sincerely apologize.

"OH NO..." he said.

"My phone!" He stand patting his pockets then found his phone on his right front pocket.

"Oh no... this could not be happening..." sadness in his voice.

"Why what happen?" I asked.

"The glass- its broken.." the concern in his eyes that his phone was broken.

"I'm very sorry Heeseung I should've never did that" I regret my actions.

He didn't look at me afterwards then grabb his guitar walking out.

No. I need to follow him before our friendship ends and go back to the way it was. I stood up and run as fast as I can to catch him.

I was running in the hallway when I saw his figure so I shout at him as few of the students looked at us.

"IT WAS STUPID OF ME LEE HEESEUNG! IM SORRY! I'LL PAY THE REPAIR FOR YOUR PHONE! ! I SWEAR! DON'T BREAK OUR FRIENDSHIP!" I was out of breath so I put two of my hands on my knees to catch some breath.

As I look on the ground, a pair of shoes moves towards me as I looked up seeing him. "Stand up." He replied and grabbed my hands and walks out the crowd.

"Where we going?" I asked him.

"You said you'll pay for the repair then do it." He said without looking a glimpse of me.

"You mean right now? I- I don't have a lot of money toda-" he cut my words.

"It's your problem. Deal with it. My phone wouldn't have been broken if you didn't frighten me earlier" a tone of seriousness he spoke.

"Okay... fine... I'm sorry that was childish of me I won't do it again." I sighed. "Guess I'll have to walk home." I pout.

"You know the reason why I had that part time job was to pay for that fucking phone and now, the one who broke it wasn't myself but you." He was like a tiger when he's mad like he was about to eat me alive.

"It's my fault so I'll take responsibility for it." He suddenly stop and turned to look at me.

"What? What's up? Why did you stop?" He smirked.

"We're here." He left and pushed a door.

"We're what?" I forgot the reason why he grabbed my hand and why we walked that long, not until I looked at the shop. " Oh.. right... the phone."