13

Chapter13: Hunting Tailed Beasts

Land of Lightning: Akatsuki Hideout

"Why did you call us here?" Sasuke inquired. From what he'd been told by Kisame, a pair of 'immortals' called Kakuzu and Hidan had captured the Nibi Jinchuuriki a few months ago and used this base to extract her Biju

"The situation has changed," Obito replied. "I'm sending you after the Hachibi alone while Kisame hunts the Ichibi."

"What happened?" Kisame asked confused.

"Amegakure no Sato has been destroyed and the rest of the Akatsuki are dead," Obito answered to their surprise.

"What?" Kisame asked with a flicker of surprise. "Who did it?"

"Judging by their hitai-ate's, I'd say Yukigakure no Sato," Obito replied though it was only half the truth. He wasn't about to drop Naruto's name into this conversation considering Sasuke's presence and his current hold over the younger Uchiha was fragile at best right now. In another life Naruto would have been a means to make Sasuke stronger and corrupt him more but that was another life where Naruto hadn't sacrificed himself to save Sasuke all those years ago.

"I didn't know Yuki had any shinobi capable to taking on S-rank nukenin," Kisame mused.

"They've been isolated much like Ame used to be so it's not really a surprise that they have a few capable Shinobi amongst their ranks like Hanzo and Pein," Obito reasoned. "I will personally deal with them later; as for now we should continue gathering the remaining Biju," he would have to face Naruto himself in order to capture the Kyuubi judging from his performance during his battle with the Six Paths of Pain.

"The Ichibi-gaki huh? I wouldn't mind having another crack at him," Kisame grinned as Samehada giggled on his back.

"Hn, fine then," Sasuke grunted as he turned away. "I'll deal with the Hachibi alone."

"I'll see you both when you get back," Obito chuckled as he watched the two disappear. "Zetsu, keep watch over Sasuke just in case he gets any ideas."

"Of course," white Zetsu answered. "Leave it to us," black Zetsu added as the human-flytrap sank into the ground and disappeared.

"...Are you going to come out?" Obito asked over his shoulder.

"Kukukuku, so you knew I was here?" asked a very different Yakushi Kabuto. The man had undergone an inhuman transformation; scales covered his face and his eyes were yellow with slitted pupils and black rings circling them behind his glasses. A brown cloak covered his form with a hood hiding his face though the unnatural smile on his face gave away to his disturbing origins.

"Why have you come here?" Obito questioned.

"I wish to join you," Kabuto replied. "Orochimaru-sama was killed by the one called Menma and Oto was destroyed by his allies. I know what you are planning and I would love to see how this all plays out."

"...What could you possibly offer me?" Obito asked honestly wanting to know. This man was clearly someone who was just trying to become a second Orochimaru and he remembered that he had betrayed Akatsuki once before so his 'successor' would probably follow in his master's footsteps.

"Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei," Kabuto whispered as a wooden coffin exploded from the ground at his side and its hood fell down revealing a lone figure inside.

"That's...you...how did you find..." Obito trailed off at the sight.

"Will this suffice?" Kabuto smiled wickedly.

Land of Lightning: Storm Cloud Ravine

Uchiha Sasuke had lost everything he ever cared about repeatedly over the course of his life and always had others deciding how to use him to benefit them. His clan had been wiped out by Konoha; his brother had set himself up to be the scapegoat and the Sandaime Hokage sat back and watched it all happen. His best friend had lived a life filled with nothing but hatred and had sacrificed himself for Sasuke nine years ago on their very first real mission allowing him to awaken his clan's cursed power. He'd finally killed Itachi and learned the truth about that night but in the end it didn't matter.