twenty

Lorelei wasn't able to see Cedric until the day after task.

She walked down the river and found Cedric waiting by their tree. She ran up to him and the two embraced in a hug, "You did wonderful." She said.

"In all honesty, I wasn't sure if I was gonna win that."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried for you."

"Because you like me." He said, playfully drawing out his words.

She rolled her eyes with a smile and lightly shoved him away. She walked to the water and sat down, putting her hand in the ice cold water.

"So the Yule Ball is coming up."

"How far away is that?"

"Two weeks."

Lorelei kept her eyes glued to the water that was beginning to ice over. She didn't give much thought to his comment, and Cedric picked up on that when she didn't speak on it anymore. He slowly walked up to her, "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?"

She looked up from the water and to the mountains ahead of them. Her felt her heart freeze to the temperature of the water. She stood up, "What?"

"I mean we al-already spend so much time together, so I guess I should also ask if you if you wanted to make things official. You know like, boyfriend and girlfriend." He said, scratching the back of his head.

"Cedric..."

"Am I getting the wrong idea here?"

She quickly shook her head, "No no, it's not that. I do... I do have feelings for you, Cedric. It's just... I don't think it's wise for us to attend together. We are already being risky meeting here."

His face fell, "What's wrong with going together? What's so risky? And don't tell me it's because of our houses."

"If this got to my father... only Merlin knows what he will do to you and your family. I couldn't live with that guilt, Cedric. And you have friends here and... I don't. I don't want you to jeopardize that for me."

Cedric scoffed and took a few steps back, "Just say that you don't want to be seen with me and I'll leave you alone."

"I do want to be seen with you, Cedric! I want to hold your hand in the hall and walk to class with you but... I'm more worried about you being seen with me than me being seen with you."

"It's my decision on who I want to be seen with. I want to be seen with you and I don't care if people don't like it!"

"It's not that simple, Cedric! You don't understand what you could lose being with me. You should find a great girl from any other house, I know there are tons that would love to go with you."

Cedric shook his head and looked down at the ground, kicking a small rock, "I don't want to go with anyone else. I want to go with you. If you don't want to then I guess..."

"Cedric..."

"No. It's fine." He cut off, "I just want you to know that if you keep living your life at the likes of others and worrying about what they think, you'll never live."

"I..." Lorelei tried to speak, but nothing came out.

"I guess I'll see you around."

With that, Cedric walked away from her. Lorelei sighed and looked up at the dark clouds over her head, seemingly punishment for what she just did. She looked back at Cedric, who was walking further and further away from her.