thirty-one

"Cats."

"If that is the first animal that comes to mind when you are asked What is the strangest breed of animal you can think of then I think we need to talk."

"They are weird!"

Zoya looked over at Fred over her crossword puzzle she was doing, who was lying at the other end of the couch they were on, "I told you it's 10 words! Wait... oh, it's Hippogriff." She said, scribbling away on her crossword.

She glanced at the clock on the wall and shut her crossword book. She began to sit up, "Where are you going?" Fred worriedly asked.

"I said I'd meet Harry and Hermione." She said as she stretched out, "Harry said he needed to tell us something. Think it has to do with the upcoming task."

"Please don't go." He pleaded, "I'll be bored."

"I'm pretty sure you can find something to keep yourself busy, Fred. Go find George and prank someone, prank Ron!"

"Eh... rather be with you."

"If you can't handle being away from me for more than a few hours–"

Fred leapt onto her from the other end and laid down directly on top of her. Zoya tried to push him off, but he would not budge.

"Fred! Get off!" She scolded.

"No."

She huffed as he snuggled his face into the crook of her neck. She brought her hand up his back, and ran her fingers through his red hair. She heard him sigh contently at the feeling, and a wicked grin crept up on her face that he couldn't see.

She moved her hand to his ear, and grabbed a hold of it just tight enough to get Fred vulnerable. He yelped and she quickly pushed him off of the couch. He fell down with a loud thump and she got up from the couch and grabbed her coat and hat that was draped over a chair. She put it on and walked back to Fred, who was still on the ground with a look of betrayal.

She bent down and gave him a kiss on the forehead, "You'll be alright. See you later."

Zoya met up with the two outside on the bridge, and she could tell Harry was feeling anxious.

"Bloody hell."

"Harry you told me you'd figured the egg out weeks ago. The task is two days from now." Hermione worriedly said.

Turns out, Harry still hadn't figured out the golden egg. Zoya was borderline laughing at him because of how late he waited to tell them, and Hermione was a mix of frustration and disappointment.

Harry rolled his eyes at the two, "Really? I had no idea." He sarcastically said, "I suppose Viktor's already figured it out." He said as the three leant their elbows on the railing and looked out at the snowy mountains.

"I wouldn't know, we didn't actually talk about the tournament. Actually we didn't really talk at all, Viktor's more of a physical being." Hermione said. Both Harry and Zoya gave her a look, and she even nudged her with a wink.

"Do tell Hermione..." She flirtatiously said.

Hermione rolled her eyes at them, "I just mean he's not particularly... Mostly he watches me study. It's a bit annoying actually. You are trying to figure this egg out aren't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And um, I'm scared for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve, I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time." Hermione said.

"I still find it absolutely hilarious that you just thought you could run and grab the egg. One of your best hits next to you being completely oblivious to Professor Lupin being a werewolf."

"Nobody other than you and Hermione thought he was one, Zoya." Harry said with a sigh, "That's not exactly what most people think about when a professor says he sick."

"Every time the Moon is full. Sure, Harry." Hermione chimed in, "You are smart but sometimes... I do question you."

Zoya snickered as Cedric and Lorelei walked up behind them hand-in-hand, "Hey Potter." Cedric called out.

Harry turned to them, "Cedric." He flatly said, "... Malfoy."

Harry walked to the two while Zoya and Hermione lingered back. Cedric looked down at Harry attentively, "H-How are you?"

Harry looked at them strangely, "Spectacular."

"Look I realized I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons." Cedric said.

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would have done the same for me." Harry replied as he tried to turn and walk away.

Cedric and Lorelei took a few steps forward to stop him, "Exactly. You know the prefects bathroom on the fifth floor?" He asked lowly. Harry nodded, "It's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water. Thank Lorelei later." Cedric said.

Lorelei and Cedric walked away from the three down the bridge. Zoya walked to Harry, "Did he just invite you to have a bath with him or did I hear that bit wrong?"

"Lorelei figured out the egg." Harry replied.

"Why am I not surprised." Zoya replied as the three watched them walk down the bridge while holding hands, "God Godric, they even look good from the back whilst walking. Can't imagine what their children would look like."

Hermione and Harry looked at her strangely, "I don't think your priorities are straight." Hermione said.

"That is probably true." Zoya replied, "Alright, Harry. Go get your egg that I am pretty sure you cuddle with at night and sort this out."