twenty-one

Zoya sat with her friends in a classroom eating breakfast. She was next to Harry, eating cereal while Hermione angrily read a newspaper.

"Are you sure Cedric was with her?"

"I was literally face to face with her!" Hermione whisper-yelled to her friends, "Lorelei Malfoy and Cedric Diggory are... dating."

"That's so weird." Ron said. 

Harry looked past Zoya at Cho Chang, who was sat across the room with her friends. He took a sip of his tea and then smiled at Cho, causing the liquid to pour out of his mouth and onto Zoya.

"Bloody hell, Harry!" She snapped, jumping up from her seat.

Harry quickly wiped his mouth, "Sorry."

"Look at this! I can't believe it she's done it again. Miss Granger a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey sources report is none other than the Bulgarian bon-bon Viktor Krum. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow." Hermione said, reading from the newspaper.

Zoya slowly sat back down after drying off her robes.

A young boy walked up holding a package, " Parcel for you Mr Weasley."

Ron took the box and sat it on the table in front of him, "Thank you Nigel."

Nigel stood there gazing at Harry. Zoya awkwardly eyed him and Ron sighed, "Not now Nigel. Later. Go on."

Nigel reluctantly walked away as his friends stared at him, "I told him I'd get him Harry's autograph. Oh look mum's sent me something." He said happily as he tore open the box. He pulled out a flamboyant suit, "Mum sent me a dress??"

Harry and Zoya both snickered, "Well it does match your eyes. Is there a bonnet?" She asked, reaching into the box, pulling out a frilly center piece, "Oh, it does! Lovely."

Everyone laughed and Ron got up, walking to Ginny, "Ginny these must be for you."

She looked at it in horror, "I'm not wearing that it's ghastly."

Ron huffed and walked back to the three, "What are you on about?"

"They're not for Ginny they're for you! Dress robes!"

"Dress robes? For what?"

Zoya scoffed, "Do you live under a rock?"

"I'm starting to get that idea." Fred chimed in from down the table.

"The Yule Ball. It's here this year because we are hosting the Triwizard Tournament." Hermione explained.

"It's not that bad, Ron. I've seen worse." Zoya said, leaning forward on the table.

"Oh yeah? And what are you wearing?" He mockingly asked.

She smugly smiled, "A dress. I'll have you know it's quite nice."

He rolled his eyes and slumped down in his seat, "Bloody brilliant."

The entire Gryffindor class gathered in a large room with Professor McGonagall and Filch, who was tweaking a large record player.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot
forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost... a dance."

Groans emerged from the boys side, and Zoya felt her blood rush cold.

"I can't dance for the life of me!" She worriedly whispered to Hermione, "I can hardly walk in a straight line!"

"Silence. The house of Godrick Griffindore has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

Zoya snickered, "Babbling, bumbling bands of baboons. I'm getting that tattooed onto my body."

Hermione struggled to hold back a smile as McGonagall continued to speak, "Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight."

"I don't think there is a secret swan in me..." Zoya trailed off, "I think it's safer to compare me to a baby horse trying to walk on ice."

Now Hermione really laughed. She quickly covered her mouth and turned away from McGonagall, putting her head on Zoya's shoulder as she laughed.

"Wipe your tears, darling. I know I'm hilarious." She said, patting Hermione's back.

"Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasly, will you join me."

Hermione lifted her head from Zoya's shoulders and wiped her tears. The entire room was looking at Ron, and Zoya was now the one in a fit of laugher. McGonagall shot a glare at her as Ron slowly stood up.

She took Ron's hand, "Now, place your right hand on my waist."

Ron became more and more panicked by the second, "Where?" He quietly asked.

"My waist." Professor McGonagall repeated.

Zoya whistled at Ron, causing the twins to break out into a fit of laughter from across the room, "Now bend your arm. Mr Filch..."

The music started and McGonagall lead Ron in a dance, "One two three, one two three, one two three."

They stands for a few seconds before she finally let Ron go, "Everybody come together."

The girls instantly stood up around Zoya. Across the room, the boys were all reluctant to stand. Hermione pulled Zoya up, "You'll be fine." She whispered.

"Boys, on your feet."

Neville was the first boy to stand. Slowly but surely, more boys stood up and began to get into partners.

"If you take Ron I'll do your hair for the ball." Zoya whispered to Hermione.

She tapped her foot and crossed her arms, "... and you'll do my makeup?"

"Deal."

The two shook hands, and Zoya walked to Harry, "Alright, let's get this done with."

"Please don't step on my feet."

"No promises." She said.

The two began to awkwardly dance amongst the groups of people. Professor McGonagall was making her rounds, correcting students.

"So... who are you going with?"

"No clue. You?"

"I'm thinking of asking Cho Chang." Harry nervously said. He suddenly winced and glared at Zoya, "That was my foot."

"Sorry." She quietly said, "Cho Chang? She's the girl you saw on the train, right?"

He nodded before Zoya tripped over her own feet. If it weren't for Harry tightening his grip on her, she would have been best friends with the floor. He helped steady her back, "I mean this in the best way possible, I don't think you should wear heels to the ball."

"It's too late for that." She worriedly said, "Guess I'll have to make sure whoever I go with doesn't have big feet."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Whatever."