thirty-two

Zoya, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were all in the library. Harry was lying his head on a book, Ron was half asleep, Hermione was pacing the room, and Zoya was sat next to Harry with her feet kicked up on a desk while she threw a ball up and down in the air.

"Harry, tell me again." Hermione said.

"Come seek us where our voices sound." Harry tiredly replied.

Hermione walked towards the three with the golden egg in her hand, "The black lake, that's obvious."

Zoya glanced across the aisle at Ron, who was starting to snore. She picked up her wand and transformed the ball she held into a snowball, and threw it right at Ron's head. He shot up from his chair, looking around bewildered.

He then saw Zoya's smug smile, and gave her a glare. He walked up behind Harry with Hermione, looking at a book that head was resting on.

"An hour long you'll have to look." Harry said to Hermione.

Hermione plopped the egg in Zoya's lap, "Again obvious, though I must admit potentially problematic."

Harry turned to Hermione, "Potentially problematic? When was the last time you held your breath under the water for an hour Hermione?" He said a bit harshly.

"Watch it, Potter. We don't have to be here helping you." Zoya mumbled, "I could be sleeping right now."

"Or shagging my brother." Ron mumbled. Since Ron was standing behind Zoya, she brought her elbow straight into his rib. He winced and doubled over, "That was just cruel." He said painfully.

Hermione sighed at Zoya and Ron's mostly silent bickering, but nonetheless ignored it, "Look Harry, we can do this. The four of us can figure it out."

Professor Moody suddenly appeared in the doorway, "Hate to break up this scholar session
but Professor McGonagall would like to see you in her office. Not you Potter and Kien, just Weasley and Granger."

"But sir, the second task is only hours away and..."

"Exactly." Professor Moody cut off, "Presumably Potter is well prepared by now and could do with a good night's sleep. Go. Now!" He said firmly.

Hermione and Ron reluctantly walked out of the library. Mad-Eye walked next to Harry, and glanced down at him as he shut his book, "Longbottom!"

Neville appeared from behind a bookcase, "Sir?"

"Why don't you help Potter put his books back." Professor Moody replied before leaving the library.

Neville walked next to Harry, who was now standing up. He looked down at the books, "You know, if you're interested in plants you'd be better with Gorshok's Guide to Herbology. Do you know there's a wizard i-in Nepal whose growing gravity resistant trees?" Neville asked kindly.

Harry sighed and turned to him, "Neville. No offense, but I really don't care about plants. Now if there's a Tibetan turnip that will allow me to breathe underwater for an hour then great." He said.

"Don't be such a dick, Harry." Zoya said to Harry from the other end of the room.

"I don't know about a turnip but you can always use gillyweed." Neville replied.

The two turned to Neville wide-eyed. Zoya walked to Neville and gave him a firm pat on the back, "Remember this, Longbottom: You're far superior to just about everyone at this school. Even Potter at some times."

"I-I don't think so." Neville shyly replied.

Zoya pulled Harry by the arm out of the library, "Thank you, Neville!" She said as they left.

Down at the kitchen, Lorelei and Cedric were hiding away from their classmates stuffing their faces with pumpkin pasties, "Are you sure this is wise to do before the task tomorrow?"

"Ehh, I'll be alright." Cedric replied, "You know, I've been thinking..."

"Oh?"

"We should run away together. At some point your parents will find out about us and throw a fit. We should just..."

Lorelei looked at Cedric with her mouth half full, "I honestly can't tell if you're joking."

"Me neither. Sounds mad."

Lorelei and Cedric split the last pumpkin pasty and roamed the mostly empty halls of Hogwarts. There was only 10 minutes before everyone had to be in the common rooms, "Are you nervous for tomorrow?"

Cedric shrugged, "A bit, yeah. But I think it'll be alright, a little optimism goes a long way."

The two parted ways at the Great Hall. Lorelei walked down to the Slytherin common room, which was filled with students. She found Augustus in a corner with his lips glued to Sayaka's. She walked up to them and they pulled apart once they saw her, "Good evening. Do you mind if I speak with Augustus, Sayaka?"

"Fine by me." She said, getting up and walking to her group of friends from across the room.

She took Sayaka's spot and looked at Augustus, "Full Moon tonight." She commented.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." He sarcastically said as he checked his watch, "I'm heading out of here soon. Let me know how it goes tomorrow." He said.

"Will do." Lorelei mumbled, staring at Sayaka.

"You still don't trust her, do you?" Augustus asked her.

"No."

Augustus sat back on the couch, "Why not?"

"I don't trust people that have pure-blood supremacist parents."

"You literally have the most pure-blood supremacist parents, Lorelei. I literally cannot think of a more muggle-hating family than yours." Augustus said to her with a scoff, "I think I have a better shot at my lycanthropy being cured than your brother marrying a half-blood or your parents shaking hands with one."

Lorelei rolled her eyes, "I like to think I'm not related to them in any way. I just happen to live with them."

"Well, you have fun in your fantasy world." Augustus said, "I am going to go isolate myself in that dirty old shack." He said as he stood up.

Augustus walked out of the common room, leaving Lorelei on the couch. She could hear everyone in the common room talking about the task tomorrow. Professor Snape burst into the common room, making everyone go silent.

He made a beeline for Lorelei, "Miss Malfoy... report to Professor McGonagall."

"At this hour?"

"Don't question it." He spat, "Now."

She slowly stood up and walked out of the common room. Lorelei made her way to McGonagall's office, and when she arrived, Ron and Hermione were also there. Gabrielle Delacour, the younger sister of Fleur Delacour, was also present.

Professor McGonagall stood up, "Wonderful, you're all here."

"What's going on?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, no need to worry." she replied calmly.

Despite McGonagall's calm tone, Lorelei felt extremely uneasy and suddenly... tired.